Search and Recovery Ka-ching!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DeepSeaDan:
If you wish, I could dig up my u/w UFO recovery dive posted here moons ago.
You're not talking about the [thread=7275]chicken story[/thread], are you? (A great story, but I had been planning to eat poultry tonight.)

ClayJar:
You're not talking about the [thread=7275]chicken story[/thread], are you? (A great story, but I had been planning to eat poultry tonight.)

...No - no chickens in the UFO story - I'll see if I can find it.

DSD

DSD, yet once again, you've made my night (and scared my cats). :biggrin:

We were on a small dive boat off San Pedro, Belize. Two locals came along, one of whom was an ex Seal. While their skills were vastly superior to we tourists they were very gracious companions while we thrashed around and generally had a good time.

The procedure for getting back into the boat called for shedding our BCDs first. As the Seal was sliding out of his BCD, it hooked his lovely old Navy dive watch, popped the pin on the strap, and down it went into the briny blue. At that point nobody had even a mask handy to watch it go down.

Our DM confidently predicted that he could drop the twosome off after our surface interval so that they could do a little hunting, while we went on to the next dive site. Considering that there were no particular points of reference, not even an X marked on the side of the boat, the odds seemed to be pretty long.

Long story short: they found it after 20 minutes of hunting in 60' of water.

If not for these other stories I'd never have dared to recount the event, as it seems too far fetched to be believable. But log books never lie. And the celebratory partiers are probably still nursing their hangovers incurred later that day - 13 Dec. 2005.

After memorial day last year a guy called me about looking for a lost pair of prescription sunglasses. The wind happened to be ripping all weekend here at Tahoe. He was a half mile down the road. Glasses had blown off his chair that was on his pier. (Lake front house = lots of money).

Get over there and figure if nothing else I would have a nice dive! Spent about 30 minutes covering the shallows and working my way out. (Glasses were yellow supposedly) Couldn't find anything. Head out to his bouy and free the boat line and caribeener that wedged in a rock.

Get out take off my gear. Asks what he owes. Tell him nothing I didn't find and I ad nice dive. Hands me $100!

Snorkeling in a river with friends who were tubing, I found a medium Scubapro TwinJet before I'd even put my snorkel in! Sold that for $35 after asking people around if they'd lost it and asking here on SB. Later in the same dive, I found almost a dollar of change, an old oval mask with deteriorating rubber which I use inthe pool (no way to pinch nose to equalize, so only useful down to a few feet....) and a set of GMC car keys, with fob. Cleaned them up with vinegar, and they hadn't been down long enough to ruin them--according to my multimeter, the fob still works! Posted ads in Craigslist but haven't ever found the owner. They sit in the cup holder in my truck, and when I drive around town I push the panic button, hoping one day to find the car or truck they belong to....those keys can cost $80 easily, I'm sure I could sell them back tot he people for $20. But heck even just giving them back would be cool enough, to have actually found them.....

So next time I'm in town I'm gonna call up the friends and go tubing! :) (my buddy always finds the good stuff on dives, I have to make sure he's not around for me to have good luck, and he doesn't like snorkeling with my friends who like to tube)

Not a diving story but a cool one.

I was fishing with a buddy and he casts out and gets snagged. Yanks around on it an loses his lure. He whines about it being his favorite. He ties on a new one and casts out and gets snagged again. Now he's really cussing. Finally frees the snag and reels in to find he has hooked the original lure.

Not sure of the odds, but it must be approaching infinity to 1.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom