Seaquest Balance vs Libra - any difference?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

OldNSalty

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
My wife is going to finally get certified and I had a question about these 2 BC's for her. Basically, is there any advantage to one vs the other? I have heard that the Libra is just a balance built for women but the local shops don't carry either style. I found a balance that is in good shape and used but I am willing to buy my wife a new Libra if there is really a difference because I want her to be as comfortable in the water as possible. Of course the selfish side of me says that if I buy the balance and she decides that she does not like diving all that much I will have a back-up BC (but while I would love to have more equipment I really hope she enjoys it and I honestly think she will).

Thanks for the help.

edit-actually I just realized that the used Balance is ideally sized for my wife it really wouldn't fit me :)

I don't recommend you getting either one without her trying them on. I planned on getting the Seaquest Balance after doing a lot of research; however, when I went to buy it I tried it on and found it to be very uncomfortable and hard to take on and off. I ended up with a completely different one = ScubaPro - Ladyhawk.

My wife tried both the Balance and the Libra when we were BC shopping and liked the fit of the Libra quite a bit better. We ended up buying a Balance for me and a Libra for her. Very happy with both a year later after about 40 dives. I don't recall all the differences between the two models, but I think one is that the torso on the Libra is a bit shorter.

James

So after showing my wife a few more models and talking about what might be good/bad about each and having her try them on she asks this very simple question “So what’s wrong with what you have?” I dive a BPW set up. :)

The only thing I don’t like about my set-up is that I have problems with a shoulder sometimes and so it can be difficult to put on but then it is fine when I hit the water. My wife does not have this problem and has no real bias for or against a set up so we will probably go in this direction.

She slipped it on and liked it and said she wants something similar (mine is an aluminum freedom plate which I don’t think Eric makes any more). She did ask if I could find her something in hot pink…

The Libra is a womens BC and is cut for a womans frame, it will fit her better like wearing a womens wetsuit cut with hips and breasts instead of a small mens suit. I had a Libra dove it for 6 years and passed it onto my sister who has continued to dive it for ten more years. I bought a Ladyhawk and have dove it for the last 10+ years and love it. recently I purchased the Lotus I3 I like the lever inflate deflate but my Ladyhawk "feels" like home to me when I wear it. (I am sure after a decade using the Lotus it will feel like home as well) There is a womens BC review on the home page of this website.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom