Seam Leaks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Oleman

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok put on a grin here we go,, i picked up an OS dry suit from a family member and had hoped to use it... I put on new seals and figured all was well -- until I got in the water and thought maybe it felt a little damp-- here is what happened to a 20 year old suit
every seam tape let go and was seeping in water all over --- all the fabric looks and feels great and like I said I just put on a new neck and wrist seals,, so do I give up or try and reseal all the seams ? I know there are some new tapes out there that can be put on with a heat gun or iron. Anyone with any ideas ?
thanks for the help

Let me know if you've come up with an answer. I also have an old suit I'm refurbishing and will probably have the same problem. I'm planning on applying a thin layer of aquaseal to the seams. Also thought about buying that new spray on rubber seal (as seen on TV) and just spraying the entire inside. I figure if it doesn't work as is or with the aquaseal, what do I really have to lose?

All my seam tape glue was cracked and flaking. Looked like a snow storm inside the suit. I took a heat gun and briefly heat each seam. The glue appeared to melt and flow back together. We'll see. Hard to test without wrist and neck seals - they're coming.

Also you might re-post in the DIY forum. Probably get a faster answer.

Update so far I found a company in Oregon that has iron on tape similar to what the manufactures use on the seams its not as thick but should work. I have not tested it yet but will and leave a follow-up here soon.
The manufactures are not interested in talking to anyone who wants to repair an old suit --- must not be enough $$$ for them they did recommend a repair place in Minn so I contacted them and they did as you suggested and coat seams with aqua seal.
will post more soon

You have a BIG Project. I wouldn't waste your time with that tape. Unless you have a heat welding machine, it is pretty hard. You can use an iron, but it doesn't work as well and you will most likely have leaks. The BEST thing to do is buy a couple 8oz tubes of Aquaseal, a little cotol, and start brushing it on.

Manufacturers sell new suits, they don't really play around on here to talk about old suits. Most of them rarely check the boards anyway so don't send them too much flak :wink:

Your most likely looking at $200-400 to do all the seams vs. $40 and your time. If I were you, take on the project and seal it up yourself. The biggest expense in a repair facility fixing it is the labor cost. It is going to take some time to repair....so do it yourself. Without seeing how much needs to be done, like I said we would charge between $200-400. With new suits starting at $599, it is hard to want to pay $400 to fix an old.

Here is a link to an 8oz tube. I would probably get 2
http://www.diverightinscuba.com/catalog/aqua-seal-p-3186.html

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom