SeaLlife Mini & other choices compared - split

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

alcina

Missing Diva.
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

off topic posts split from http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=194413this thread

This bit threw me a little:
ScubaSteve772:
For what this camera is... and took adequate pictures for a point and shoot (some issues with colors and auto focus, but in the range of what I expected for a $300 camera).

I had no idea this thing was so expensive! I'm glad that you are happy with your results, but I have to say for those who are still looking that for just another $100 or so there are several options out there that will do an even better job in a wider range of circumstances. But if you don't have the extra it's all moot :wink:

alcina:
This bit threw me a little:

I had no idea this thing was so expensive! I'm glad that you are happy with your results, but I have to say for those who are still looking that for just another $100 or so there are several options out there that will do an even better job in a wider range of circumstances. But if you don't have the extra it's all moot :wink:

For $100 more what do you think is better? Im curious, because there isnt another camera on the market with the same features that close in price.....

I think the Canon A series cameras with the Canon housings produce outstanding results and their video is very good, too. Several other makers have models that come close in price, too.

These models also focus closer, have full manual controls, have great macro capabilities, allow control of the ISO and WB...I couldn't tell from the web site, but it's not clear that this model does.

There are lots of options out there, just floating ideas :)

alcina:
These models also focus closer, have full manual controls, have great macro capabilities, allow control of the ISO and WB...I couldn't tell from the web site, but it's not clear that this model does.

To answer:
Mini has no aperture or shutter controls beyond the presets that come with it. The WB and ISO are also just standard presets. Macro had issues, but with some more time and shots I may get it to work right.

It does have a "Sea" mode on it that seemed to work pretty good form the shutter and aperture on UW shots. It also has some preset WB settings for underwater that adjust the red/yellow levels while in "Sea" mode (one setting for <25' and one for >25').

I fully agree that there are some superior camera setups for another ~$150+, but there is something nice about having a rough and tumble, compact, simple camera. I wouldn't be concerned about tossing my mini in my dive bag, or getting it banged up a bit. Its pretty solid and because of it simplicity, doesn't have much to break on it.

I will definitely upgrade in in the future to a more capable camera as any gadget/photo junkie would, but for $300 I'm comfortable in recommending this camera to the average diver that wants to snap some shots. Medium to advanced photographers will want more control and settings.

Good information there, Steve!

This camera does seem to offer a bit more ruggedness, so that might be a great thing for some divers. It's small size and easy to clip off are also nice things.

The macro being a bit touchy would be a concern as would the minimum focus distance as getting closer underwater is a good thing.

Your photos in the other thread were nice and showed a good range of what this camera can do. I'm sure it will be just the ticket for some and I hope others who use it post more photos and that you pop more up as you dive more with it.

Can never have too many options and it seems there's a camera out there to suit almost every diver's needs!

I'm trying to address DiveRightIn's comment that there isn't a system for around the same cash (for me that's within about $100 - obviously "close in price" will vary from person to person) with as many features - from what I can see this unit has almost no features. Doesn't mean it doesn't work, just means it doesn't have as many features :wink:

I still know that I can get out there and buy something that I would consider gives better images even for happy snappers for about the same money - off the of my head an older Canon A series with a new housing (housings don't change in price as the models are discontinued it seems!) I picked up my Canon 520 for about $100 and the housing was $150 :)

Yeah not to mention I may have to send it back to Sealife because one of the button is broken. This will be the 2nd time I'm senting this camera back to Sealife and the camera I have is the replacement they sent me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom