Sealife Reefmaster Camera question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jakz2fun

Registered
Reaction score
Hello, :06:

I have a SL145 Reefmaster DC310 Digital camera. I have used it on one trip with good results and have recently purchased the Macro Lens set for my trip to Roatan.

But my question is about the directions saying not to grease the o-rings on the camera housing. I had a Sea & Sea camera and I greased the o-rings after every dive. It surprised me when the directions for this camera said not to.

Could someone please comment on this? I would like to take as good of care of this camera as possible and will appreciate any helpful hints.

Thank-you, JoAnn

jakz2fun:

I have a SL145 Reefmaster DC310 Digital camera. I have used it on one trip with good results and have recently purchased the Macro Lens set for my trip to Roatan.

But my question is about the directions saying not to grease the o-rings on the camera housing. I had a Sea & Sea camera and I greased the o-rings after every dive. It surprised me when the directions for this camera said not to.

Could someone please comment on this? I would like to take as good of care of this camera as possible and will appreciate any helpful hints.

Thank-you, JoAnn

I have Reefmaster too, think it's the DC300, and my manual says NOT to grease ) ring I have used it a few times and never greased it, nor did it have to be. When traveling on a plane take it in your carry-on and do not snap it shut. Leave the latch open.

jakz2fun:

Thank-you, JoAnn

So leaving the O-ring question out of this, how would you rate this camera and would you suggest it to others as a good camera?

I've been thinking about buying the DC310, but haven't yet.

-mike

I have been very happy with this camera. I have only used it on one trip, in the Cook Islands. But got good results. I suggest getting the diffuser for the outside flash, as I had several shots that were washed out with the flash. I was able to enlarge the ones I wanted with good results and it is wasy to use. I can't wait to use the new macro lenses that I just got. I like that I am able to switch lenses underwater as needed.

mike_s:
So leaving the O-ring question out of this, how would you rate this camera and would you suggest it to others as a good camera?

I've been thinking about buying the DC310, but haven't yet.

-mike

I would rate the camera as very good, good quality pics, easy to use, I have DC300 with external flash. It is an excellent camera set up for someone who is not Ansel Adams of the deep. You can use the digital camera above water as well, as you probably know. I think it is a very good camera for that pric range. Buy the bigger chip though.

jakz2fun:
I have been very happy with this camera. I have only used it on one trip, in the Cook Islands. But got good results. I suggest getting the diffuser for the outside flash, as I had several shots that were washed out with the flash. I was able to enlarge the ones I wanted with good results and it is wasy to use. I can't wait to use the new macro lenses that I just got. I like that I am able to switch lenses underwater as needed.

The macro lens is easy to put on and is good for real close up stuff? What is the price?

I have not used the close-up lenses yet, so I do not know what the photos will turn out like. This will be my first try at Macro photos. I am going to Roatan on Feb. 12 and will use them. I will post my findings. But, yes, they are easy to put on and take off. Just fit right over the lens on the housing. I kit I bought included a 3x lens, and I had no problem using that.

jakz2fun:
I have not used the close-up lenses yet, so I do not know what the photos will turn out like. This will be my first try at Macro photos. I am going to Roatan on Feb. 12 and will use them. I will post my findings. But, yes, they are easy to put on and take off. Just fit right over the lens on the housing. I kit I bought included a 3x lens, and I had no problem using that.

The kit included a few lenses? What kind of price? Can you attach them UW or do you do that on teh boat? Have you purchased any moisture munchers? Put two in your UW housing and one in your external flash.

Thanks for the review of the Digital Reefmaster.

I've got the 35mm film version and Like it, but would rather have digital and they have finally gone down in price nough.

I've got the 3x lens and it works great. You just put it on the outside of the camera housing. Never gotten a blury picture with it, but it's hard to figure out which pictures you used it on with the film one as you don't see them until you develop them.

I've used the moisture munchers before and not used them and never noticed any difference. The only time I've had my camera fog up was when I had it in a cold hotel room and then took it outside.

You can get the 3x Macro lens for about $30 bucks. It clips to your camera lanyard.
http://www.divesports.com/mall/sealife_sl951.asp

There is a kit that has several macro lens for about $90 bucks
http://www.divesports.com/mall/sealife_sl959.asp

The Wide angle lens is about $80 bucks
http://www.divesports.com/mall/sealife_wdanglelens.asp

They've got the DC310 for about $350, but Christmas bills were more than I expected so I haven't ponied up the cash for it yet.

Yes, the kit I got included the 3x lens. It was the DC310 Digital camera Prto set which included the external flash and the extra lens. The lens can be attached under water or on land. I did get some moisture munchers and use as you said. I also got the diffuser for the external flash. All set and ready to go.

I don't remember what the cost was, but I think found a good deal at $400 or $450.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom