SeaLife flash difuser question

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

mike_s

Contributor
Reaction score
How well does the SeaLife SL968 Flash Difuser work?

The reason I'm thinking about one is that I'm getting "white burn" on some of my photos, especially when shooting in macro mode.

anyone used one? any comments?

BTW... this is for use with the DC310 with external strobe.

Thanks for any help

-Mike

I haven't used one for macro, but I have seen a big improvement on silvery fish, like barracuda, as well as softer light overall for other critters.

Are you using the diffuser when that happens or are you looking to buy one to avoid it?

Looking to buy a diffuser to avoid "white burns" or overexposure of the flash. I just happen to notice the problem more with macro mode since the camera (and flash) is closer to the subject(fish)).

I'm sure it will help--certainly can't hurt, and the diffusers aren't all that expensive.

Have you used the macro flash setting? I did not realize it had one and I was having the same problem. I have not tried more pictures since I decided to read the instruction book but will be back in the water this weekend. I also plan to try a difuser of the hamemade variety before spending the $$ on one. I think I saw on here that a plastic lid from a container of cole slaw or something similar works well. I will report back next week.

bladephotog:
I made one out of a white Tupperware lid for about $1. Worked great.

How did you attach it to the strobe?

I loved using the diffuser on the non digital (yellow) strobe but had some issues while using it with the digital (black) strobe. From what I understand the settings for macro, normal and far flash on the camera do NOT affect the strobe output. It only affects the camera sensitivity. (Someone please correct me if I am wrong,)
With my digital strobe I was having some burn out issues around the diffuser. I was having to turn the strobe up so high to light my subjects that periodically I was getting burned areas where the light was able to escape around the top and bottom of the strobe. I did not use the diffuser on the last day, instead just turned my strobe output down. Since this isn't an option with the non digital strobe, I would recommend getting the diffuser for that.
We made a diffuser (out of necessity- lost one somewhere in the Flower Gardens) by cutting a circle out of a gallon milk jug for my husband's Sea and Sea strobe. I am not sure how you would hook a homemade one onto the Sealife strobe. I think I would just splurge for a real one....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom