Sealife DC800

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

FlyinV

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
What do you think about the Sealife DC800 as a starter camera?
First without the external flash and then if things go well I would add it later.

What I am looking for in a camera
- Dead simple to take some pictures (IE hopefully a lot of automatic settings)
- Small and lightweight - I would like to clip it on my BC or put it in a pocket.
- Can also take some video

I don't expect magazine quality photos, mostly due to my lack of skills taking above water picks :) -- I just want something that can take a decent photo of some creatures in semi shallow water.

Check the forum for sealife, there is a whole thread on this excellent camera

I have one,good camera,takes all the pictures at good quality that I will ever need,easy to use,well built.Its not a $5000 pro setup,,,but for easy recreational picture taking,its great.Nikon makes a good one around $250,,a friend has one.

What do you think about the Sealife DC800 as a starter camera?
First without the external flash and then if things go well I would add it later....
I don't expect magazine quality photos, mostly due to my lack of skills taking above water picks :) -- I just want something that can take a decent photo of some creatures in semi shallow water.

Where do you want to take your photography? If you plan to get serious, I would not spend the money on the DC800 as a "starter", but get the 500 or 600 for less money. This will teach you UW photgrpahy without thousands of dollars invested. If on the other hand you are looking for a good camera and do not see yourself upgrading to a serious kit with a DSLR, etc, then this may well be the camera for you.

I would recommend the external flash though. The internal flash is barely sufficient, the ext. flash is worth all the money.

And you can expect magazine quality pics. I have the DC500, which is a few stops below the DC800, and every now and again I screw up and get a brillant, sharp, colorful photograph that looks like someone else took it. There is not enough resolution in my camera to blow things up big, but I get good quality prints up to 8x10.

keep in mind that photography adds a level of complexity in diving, and is also very addictive.

Back
Top Bottom