Sealife DC500

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Have this camera, had no problems at all with it - about 1000 pics. Battery life is not great, other than that I liked it. Got some great shots with it. Will keep it as a backup quick and dirty. My new DSLR is much nicer, more manual control re settings but WAY more $ and a pain to carry around.

We've had the camera for a year. Dove in St. Maarten, St. Thomas, lakes, Atlantic and Gulf. No problems at all. It works just as well on land. I would advise the digital strobe(but it's not necessary). I also heard that the camera freezes due to a memory card that is too large. We have a 512memory card and I haven't had any problems. I love it

micahjt:
Don't do it.....terrible camera....far better stuff out there in the same price range.

Some unedited shots with the DC500 here. My first attempt with the camera, so I'd say that the quality will only improve with experience. No external strobe with these shots.
The first is a video sample. Click it to link to the video.

Roatan.jpg

br.jpg

101.jpg

91.jpg

81.jpg

71.jpg

61.jpg

51.jpg

31.jpg

21.jpg

11.jpg

4.jpg

CheddarChick:
I think you will find the camera nazi group doesn't understand that some of us are just starting out, and don't want to be a photojournalist who has to set settings and worry about all the other stuff. I bought this camera in may and have used it in the murky soup of the Midwest lakes and really like it!!!! I think the only issue is mostly operator error and battery life. I would recommend it.
Camera Nazis understand that people are just starting out. The point is... Why buy a camera that is "made for underwater" - You can buy a nice simple to use Canon P&S camera with a canon housing for $500 too. The Canon's are much better cameras all around.

As mentioned, the battery life is an important choice/factor in choosing an underwater camera. When I shoot stills, I shoot between 100 and 150 shots on a two tank dive, so about 75 shots per dive. Just keep that in mind, when you're selecting a camera, and make sure that the battery can last that long. You don't want to be changing batteries or memory cards on the boat. You want something that has the power to last.

My wife shoots with a Canon S70 - which is discontinued, but still available. I got her entire setup for $500 - then added an Ikelite external strobe. She shoots great pictures, in automatic mode. It's simple to use.

So anyway... good luck with your choices, but for the money... the DC500 is nothing special :wink:

Howard, what is the depth rating on the Canon rig?

The DC500 has automatic settings that are unique to shooting underwater. There is also a mode that eliminates lag. Possibly not the best choice for the money, but "far better stuff out there in the same price range." is leaving me feeling defensive. :wink:

dherbman:
Howard, what is the depth rating on the Canon rig?

The DC500 has automatic settings that are unique to shooting underwater. There is also a mode that eliminates lag. Possibly not the best choice for the money, but "far better stuff out there in the same price range." is leaving me feeling defensive. :wink:

The Canon is rated to 150' I believe. The thing about the S70 - is the ability to shoot in RAW. Personally, this is one of the best features for shooting underwater that there is. In RAW, you can manually adjust the white balance ON YOUR COMPUTER. I often see people on dives futzing around with little pieces of white slate, or styrofoam cups, whatever the case may be. In order to adjust the white balance on the pictures. I can say with great certainty, that of your photos (which are nicely composed) the colors would look "correct" if you had the ability to adjust the color temperatures after the fact, which you just can't do with JPEG.

Aside from RAW (which not a lot of P&S cameras have) - the optics and image sensors are important factors to choosing a camera. When you compare the specs of the DC500 to several "top brand" point and shoot digital cameras, they just don't stack up. Of course, the specs don't really consider underwater shooting, but I just don't see the point to get a camera made for underwater, when most shooters will be using their camera all the time. Why not get a good all around camera, and put it in a housing?

I bought mine because the fella at my lds had one - not digital though - brilliant pics. Anyway, the batteries ruined many many shots for me. My photos are nothing for publishing, barely good enough to show friends, but they are my memories. I used different batteries and still the same thing they died in a matter of minutes. When they did last it wasa celebration. All joking aside that really shouldn't be. I have heard of others who love theirs but to me the camera is not consistent. Too many differing reports.

I would do as Howarde suggested. Really, that is the route I would take if I had it to do over again (cliche but true).

RAW would be a big advantage as I understand it. Battery life is a drawback on the DC500. I can get 1.25 dives out of it if I am constantly shooting. Depth rating is 200'.

If given a choice, I prefer to have a seperate land camera. Different lenses and no fear of flooding will allow me to dump more into that camera. When I get serious, I'll likely go to video, so I'm not willing to invest a huge amount into my camera at this point.

Miss, a few minutes of battery life is not right. Even using flash for every shot, you should get more out of it. I did buy an extra battery that I can swap during SI, but I'm still able to shoot video or snap away for an entire dive.

dherbman:
RAW would be a big advantage as I understand it. Battery life is a drawback on the DC500. I can get 1.25 dives out of it if I am constantly shooting. Depth rating is 200'.

If given a choice, I prefer to have a seperate land camera. Different lenses and no fear of flooding will allow me to dump more into that camera. When I get serious, I'll likely go to video, so I'm not willing to invest a huge amount into my camera at this point.

Miss, a few minutes of battery life is not right. Even using flash for every shot, you should get more out of it. I did buy an extra battery that I can swap during SI, but I'm still able to shoot video or snap away for an entire dive.
Even 1.25 dives on battery life is short IMHO. Opening your housing on a boat, or even at the beach is risky.

As for flooding. I just looked into insurance for my D200 and for the Lens. It's $150/year for flood (any damage) insurance through DEPP - You are covered for lost equipment too with this coverage.

As for depth rating. Other housings are available for most of these cameras, with ratings to 200'. The average diver is keeping it to recreational limits though, so the 150' rating is generally adequate.

howarde:
Of course, the specs don't really consider underwater shooting, but I just don't see the point to get a camera made for underwater, when most shooters will be using their camera all the time. Why not get a good all around camera, and put it in a housing?
We use our camera more on land than underwater. It may be marketed as a dive camera, but it's a great little digital land camera when not in the housing.
And yes, Miss. You should have way more than just a few minutes on the battery. if I do 45 minutes of video, I still have battery left

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom