Sealife DC310 O-ring maintenance?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
The manual says "Do not remove O-ring. Do not grease O-ring" which is exactly what I've done for the past 3 years (nothing), and it has worked fine so far, but I doubt it can survive forever on its own. Plus I bought the camera used so who knows how long this O-ring has been sitting there.

Now it's been a while since I last used the camera and I'm wondering if I should remove and grease the O-ring despite the instructions to the contrary? And with what lubricant?

To be fair, the manual also says to clean and inspect the O-ring very carefully after every dive and to contact a Sealife Service Center for O-ring replacement if it appears damaged.

Actually never mind. I just remembered that Sealife has an updated instruction set for the O-ring on their website which includes a quick-lube test (press lid close and see if it pops back open) to check if the O-ring is okay, and mine still seems to be okay. I suspect the previous owner added one hell of grease coating to it though because it seems so greasy.

Is the O-ring still made? If so, Why not just replace it?
I just replaced the O-ring for my DC-500 and it was only $8.
Cheap cost for a bit of piece of mind.
--- bill

I got mine from ScubaToys - but they are my LDS about a 10 minute
drive from my house.
I was quite surprised that they had it in stock.

--- bill

Ditto 'Floaters' message. Used one for 3 years. I followed MFR directions for care. All I ever did was remove it occasionally to rinse it with freshwater and always checked for sand particles. Just sold it on eBay ... 3 years later it was as good as new!

Personally, I would remove, clean and inspect BOTH the Oring and housing Oring seat at least once a dive trip. One grain of sand or hair is enough to ruin your trip...I use a magnifying glass. Whether it needs to be lubed or not really depends on how the seal is made. If the Oring SLIDES past one of its seating surfaces it DOES need to be lubed. If it sits in a grove and the mating surface makes flat contact (basically just squeezes the Oring ) then it does NOT need to be lubed although lubing it may make it easier to install. In any case, the correct lube must be used and if used, it's purpose is to lube, not seal. The Oring just needs to be slick when it is pulled between your fingers, no more. Visiable globs of grease means you are using way too much.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom