SeaLife DC1200 Strobe Repair

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bensontc

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Kudos to SeaLife. During my recent trip to Cozumel I had a great time trying out my new DC1200. I was really careful about keeping the inside of the camera housing dry and making sure there was a fresh moisture muncher installed. I didn't even think about taking the same care with my strobe. I must be clear, the seal on the strobe did not fail but some moisture found its way into the flash head and corroded some connections.

I sent my strobe off to the autorized repair shop indicated on the SeaLife webpage. After a couple weeks I was really disappointed to see the repairs would cost me $165 for a new flash head. There was no equipment failure. The seals worked fine. Error had to be on my part.

The good news: I got a follow-up email from the repair shop. As a one-time customer courtesy they are doing the repair for free.

I feel certain that eventually, that saved $165 will go towards a second strobe to add to my system.

I love my camera and I love the company. That's what I call great customer support. Lesson learned for myself: put a moisture muncher inside the the sealed part of the flash head as well as in the camera housing.

Sealife / Pioneer totally get the meaning of customer service - Bjorn and Karl are awesome! They have taken good care of me for years! Im still shooting with a DC500 and then I have my Nikon setup from Sea and Sea.

Kudos to SeaLife. During my recent trip to Cozumel I had a great time trying out my new DC1200. I was really careful about keeping the inside of the camera housing dry and making sure there was a fresh moisture muncher installed. I didn't even think about taking the same care with my strobe. I must be clear, the seal on the strobe did not fail but some moisture found its way into the flash head and corroded some connections.

I sent my strobe off to the autorized repair shop indicated on the SeaLife webpage. After a couple weeks I was really disappointed to see the repairs would cost me $165 for a new flash head. There was no equipment failure. The seals worked fine. Error had to be on my part.

The good news: I got a follow-up email from the repair shop. As a one-time customer courtesy they are doing the repair for free.

I feel certain that eventually, that saved $165 will go towards a second strobe to add to my system.

I love my camera and I love the company. That's what I call great customer support. Lesson learned for myself: put a moisture muncher inside the the sealed part of the flash head as well as in the camera housing.

Thanks for your post. I recently had water get into my DC1200 strobe in the freshwater tub on the boat during a trip to Dominica in March. I am not sure how it happened, but was just glad it didn't get into the saltwater that way. I was ready to send it off to Sealife for repair, but after taking out the 3 screws that hold in the strobe and taking it apart, wiping out the inside with the soft cloth and putting it back together, it was working. I haven't tried it out diving again yet, but will in about a week. Glad to hear that Sealife was great to deal with and repaired your strobe. Have you had any issues again since then? I just purchased a package of moisture munchers yesterday.

Glad to hear the strobe is working again. We don't recommend unscrewing the 3 screws and cleaning out the inside. There is a high-voltage capacitor inside that will give you the shock of a lifetime. if the strobe acts up, contact Dennis or Debbie at service@sealife-cameras.com. Make sure to inspect and clean the o-rings before closing the waterproof door. Happy diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom