Sealife 1400 - is video light suitable for stills or not?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

zzqx11

New
Reaction score
# of dives
25 - 49
I have a Sealife 1400 camera with the external flash on the tray. I would also like to have the light to use for video. This video light, I understand, also has a setting for still photography. Could I use this instead of the flash or is it best to have both the flash and video light? Long question i know but I am new to this and would like to know the right thing to do. Hoping someone can help.

The video light's light output is extremely weak compared to the strobe's. The strobe is made so that it could overcome the color of the ambient daylight filtering down to the reef (which is bluish). If you turn on the video light during daytime, it won't turn the bluish looking subject into its original natural color.

The video light's light output is extremely weak compared to the strobe's. The strobe is made so that it could overcome the color of the ambient daylight filtering down to the reef (which is bluish). If you turn on the video light during daytime, it won't turn the bluish looking subject into its original natural color.

Yes it will.

PICT0409.jpg

Yes it will.
With a strobe, you can control the shutter speed to vary the amount of ambient light entering the camera, with a fast shutter turning the picture purely lit by the strobe, and a slower shutter speed will have the subject be a combination of strobe lit and ambient lit.

With the video light, you can't do that. If your subject appears bluish when the video light is on, then that will pretty much be the color of the picture that will be taken.

Also, strobes generally could light the subject in daylight for 4-6 ft, playing with the shutter, aperture & ISO could vary that. consumer video lights generally cannot do that. Bottom of the line ikelites delivers around 50 watt-second of light output, that is around 50 watts of video light (if not more since strobe light are very efficient lighting mechanisms).

Yes it will.

PICT0409.jpg

I know the merits of using a flash. But the spotlight effect of this picute is really cool. I still get the sense of the darkness of the deep yet the contrast of the colorful beauty of the scene. Great Picture. :cool3:

~Me~

I have a strobe and a video light. The photo was taken with the video light and the crab was under a ledge. True I was within 3 feet. the video light will light things up.......if. CLose enough.

A video light can absolutely be used for still photos, with or without a strobe. When using a strobe alongside, the "video" light can simply serve the purpose of a focus light to light up a dark area and allow your camera to focus much better. Focus lights are great additions to any photography rig going to dark or dimly lit areas.

Thank you for your help. Upon reading my original posting, I find that I wasn't clear in what I was truly asking.
I have the Sealife 1400 camera and the Digital Pro Flash (SL961)> I haven't had the chance to use it yet. This is only a strobe flash for still shots. There is an accessory called the Photo/Video light (SL980) which appears to be both a strobe and a video light. I was curious if I would still need my strobe if I got this accessory. I have heard that you get better results if you use both. I was looking for advice from someone who has used these devices. It is always nice to have opinions from people who have actually used the equipment rather than from the manufacturers. Thanks again for your input and if there is anyone else with information, I'm all ears..

Thank you for your help. Upon reading my original posting, I find that I wasn't clear in what I was truly asking.
I have the Sealife 1400 camera and the Digital Pro Flash (SL961)> I haven't had the chance to use it yet. This is only a strobe flash for still shots. There is an accessory called the Photo/Video light (SL980) which appears to be both a strobe and a video light. I was curious if I would still need my strobe if I got this accessory. I have heard that you get better results if you use both. I was looking for advice from someone who has used these devices. It is always nice to have opinions from people who have actually used the equipment rather than from the manufacturers. Thanks again for your input and if there is anyone else with information, I'm all ears..

The unit you are talking about doesn't replace a strobe. It is on only when you turn it on so it does not "fire" like a strobe. I have one and I use it in tandem with the strobe. I have had some good results using it. The picture I posted earlier used the light (SL980). The batteries for the external strobe (SL961) were dead and it did not fire (my fault for not changing them) and all I had was the video light and the internal flash (which is covered by the optic ring from the external flash)on my DC800. So you can use it to light up the subject when close enough.

It takes a lot of light to get all the colors the deeper you get, especially red, and the range for the strobe and the light is not that far +/- 8 ft max with the strobe turned all the way to Max. I think having the light makes a difference and helps bring the colors out.

Last edited:
Thank you very much for that. Overall, are you happy with your equipment? I got this as a gift and have not had the chance to use it yet. Hopefully in the spring I will.

The unit you are talking about doesn't replace a strobe. It is on only when you turn it on so it does not "fire" like a strobe. I have one and I use it in tandem with the strobe. I have had some good results using it. The picture I posted earlier used the light (SL980). The batteries for the external strobe (SL961) were dead and it did not fire (my fault for not changing them) and all I had was the video light and the internal flash (which is covered by the optic ring from the external flash)on my DC800. So you can use it to light up the subject when close enough.

It takes a lot of light to get all the colors the deeper you get, especially red, and the range for the strobe and the light is not that far +/- 8 ft max with the strobe turned all the way to Max. I think having the light makes a difference and helps bring the colors out.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom