SeaLife 1000 - Can lens fog damage a camera?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

bonairefans

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I was very pleased with both the stills and videos taken with the sealife 1000 on a recent trip to Bonaire.

But after 38 hours underwater, the camera housing experienced its first lens fog. When I open the housing later, there were several small drops of water I thought were the results of condensation as there was no indication the housing leaked.

My camera has not functioned properly since. I've conducted my own underwater tests and there is no indication of leakage/housing failure.

Is it possible that a single case of condensation could produce enough moisture to penetrate the camera?

I've already received two replacement cameras (under warranty) from sealife as a result of housing failure, and I don't want to go through that hassle again.

If there is condensation in the housing, there can easily be condensation in the battery compartment of the camera.
As for the actual inners of the camera, that I'm not sure of.

On a side note how did your housing fail twice? o_O

In regard to the question "On a side note how did your housing fail twice?"

That's what I'd like to know. The first time, the housing suddenly was compromised without any apparent point of entry. The new o-ring only had a few hours of use. Sealife replaced both housing and camera.

The second time, same thing. SeaLife was concerned enough about customer satsifaction that it sent an upgrade, a 1000. I was impressed that a company stood behind its product to that degree.

I'm really split on this product. On one hand, I am very please with the quality of pics. It's easy to use and compact enough - even with the strobe - to not interfer with the dive.

On the other hand, I feel as if I'm dealing with a disposable camera...with a high price tag attached.

Not to question your camera hygiene
But sealife's O-ring can be a major lint magnet.
The main reason for this is because your not suppose to lube it with anything. It's a dry o-ring.

If you haven't done so, I would recommend shining a bright white light on the o-ring and the casing that closes over the o-ring.
Make sure there is absolutely nothing, no matter how small on the o-ring and the plastic hatch that closes over the o-ring.

I usually take a damp microfiber cloth (or the white one they gave you) and run it over the o-ring. It takes away lint much better than the brush.

In any case I hope you have better luck.

My only gripe with Sealife is their shutter buttons. ;D

Regarding camera hygiene, I am attentive to the point of obsession. Before the housing is closed, nothing larger than a molecule is allowed anywhere near the o-ring. Lube is not used.

May I ask about your issue with shutter buttons? Which model do you own?

I use the DC 800
The way the shutter works, they have the housing button pushing down a plastic lever, which in turns pushes the camera's shutter button.
As the camera is used, the plastic lever flexes, creating tension. It also gets weaker and weaker in my opinion.
Because of the tension between the plastic lever and the buttons, it prevents the housing shutter from returning back to it's normal position.
This is exacerbated with depth.
I used the camera on 1 dive, 50 pictures.
Took it out and immedietly soaked it. Followed the manual word for word.
3 hours later I hopped back in and pressed the shutter button, it stuck.
about 5 photos later it got stuck for good. I had to open the casing and remove the camera before it popped back up.

I was able to compensate only by using the lightest trigger finger to activate my shutter.
I also did a little scrapping of the mechanism's to assist with the return of the shutter button.
Ask me if you want to do this. I'll give you specific instructions and an explanation for why I did this.
Even still if you press the button all the way down it sticks. Even on land.

The point where it sticks and the point where it takes the picture but doesn't stick
is a matter of millimeters.
So it gets a bit annoying when your trying to quickly capture the moment a leopard shark swims by you.

My friend has the DC 1200 and their housing to camera layout is different so he doesn't have this problem.

no prob =]

I always use some lube, the smallest amount of silicon grease, and then use my fingertips to detect the smallest imperfection on the O-ring or the sealing surfaces. I don't rely on eyesight and that's quite imperfect.

I also regard Sealife cameras as of pretty low quality and wouldn't spend my money on one. I'd prefer to use a quality compact, in my case probably from Canon, with one of their own housings. Zero problems so far, and I've owned more than 12 of them.

If there is evidence of water in the housing, from whatever source, then that will have penetrated the camera and adversely affected it. I have had condensation appear on video cameras, and in every case the camera died a little later. Similarly with laptops that have been taken from a cold A/C room into a warm humid atmosphere.

I always use some lube, the smallest amount of silicon grease, and then use my fingertips to detect the smallest imperfection on the O-ring or the sealing surfaces. I don't rely on eyesight and that's quite imperfect.

I also regard Sealife cameras as of pretty low quality and wouldn't spend my money on one. I'd prefer to use a quality compact, in my case probably from Canon, with one of their own housings. Zero problems so far, and I've owned more than 12 of them.

If there is evidence of water in the housing, from whatever source, then that will have penetrated the camera and adversely affected it. I have had condensation appear on video cameras, and in every case the camera died a little later. Similarly with laptops that have been taken from a cold A/C room into a warm humid atmosphere.

Sealife developed their o-rings so you didn't have to lube them.
In fact I believe lubing them would actually prevent their o-ring from sealing.
At least from what the the tone of manual states.
You also can't feel lint too well with your fingertips. ;]

I'll agree with you that running any o-ring through your fingers will make detecting any imperfections easier though.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom