SEA WASPS!!!!!! Yikes!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

susan6868

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Okay,I'm heading down to GC in about four weeks, and have been reading a lot of posts. I was on the most recent "Night Diving in GC" post when someone made menton of Sea Wasps and wearing a 3ml to protect yourself against them.
Now, on the boards for GC, I've run accross mention of hammerhead sharks, eels, stingrays, all cool, nothing made me flinch. But Sea Wasps???????
This sounds like something out of a science fiction novel. I also sounds like something I probably don't want to run into, particularly by surprise.
Could someone please explain? This could be a "deal breaker" (ha ha) Probably not, but I need to know......

Are you asking what they are? They're small jelly fish. They are actually a box jelly fish but different to the lethal variety found in Australia. I think they can give you quite a sting though and can be quite dangerous to people with allergy issues.

Thanks- just made myself late for work reading up on it and I feel better knowing it's primarily an Australian thing. They noted they are present in the Carribbean but it's rare and it's not something I'm going to worry about at all.
I wasn't aware it was a jelly fish, my friends had mentioned something in Cayman called the "sea itch" which they said just made you itch like crazy until you poured beer on yourself (not kidding). No relaionship between the two evidently.
I can live with that.
However, the box jellyfish that is common in Australia is lethal, and would definately give me pause about diving with them.
I guess I'm hooked, becuase you'll notice I said "give me pause" and never said it would stop me!
Thanks again, one less thing to worry about!

The "Sea Itch" you are talking about is probably what they call "Sea Lice" and that's the larva of the thimble jelly fish. They get caught between your skin and your clothes and sting you. I don't know about pouring beer over your body but vinegar does work. Don't use fresh water because that will just make them sting more. It tends to bother some people more then others.

We didn't run into any problems diving a week and 1/2 ago, but we did get hit playing in the surf. All 4 of us that went had little red marks that almost looked like spider bites from the knees down. They didn't bother me or my mother-in-law much, but they caused my bride and her aunt some discomfort with itching for about 3 days. It is very much a person by person thing as I didn't even notice it until someone pointed it out to me and I never felt any itching or pain at all.

susan6868:
Okay,I'm heading down to GC in about four weeks, and have been reading a lot of posts. I was on the most recent "Night Diving in GC" post when someone made menton of Sea Wasps and wearing a 3ml to protect yourself against them.
Now, on the boards for GC, I've run accross mention of hammerhead sharks, eels, stingrays, all cool, nothing made me flinch. But Sea Wasps???????
This sounds like something out of a science fiction novel. I also sounds like something I probably don't want to run into, particularly by surprise.
Could someone please explain? This could be a "deal breaker" (ha ha) Probably not, but I need to know......

Hi Susan. Don't cancel a trip because of this. There is protection available to prevent that painful stinging from Sea Wasps, Sea Lice, and other sea creatures that cause you pain. It is call Safe Sea. This stuff is absolutely amazing. And it provides great sunscreen protection. Use this link to take a look...............

Safe Sea Jellyfish Protectant Lotion - 4 Strengths of Sun Screen Protection

Thousands of people swear by this stuff. I have personally tested it and it works!

Phil Ellis

My wife and I recently did a trip on the Nekton Rorqual down in GC.
She got stung by a sea wasp.
Here is the link to our trip report:Nekton Cayman Trip
If you scroll down you'll see a picture of her sting.

--- bill

the Carribbean ones can kill you.. though rare... it's mainly at night that you need to worry about them so turn off your light when you get near the surface. they're attracted to light...

getwet2:
The "Sea Itch" you are talking about is probably what they call "Sea Lice" and that's the larva of the thimble jelly fish.

Yes, the itch is from the thimble larva, but its not this case with Sea Wasps.

The Sea Wasps that are found occasionally on Cayman night dives are genuine stinging jellyfish. They're usually roughly a little larger than a Thimble jellyfish that you'll encounter in the springtime, but they trail four (4) long stinging tentacles that can be 6" long and these pack a good punch.

Here's a fuzzy photo of a pretty dense swarm that we had on a night dive last year. This was ~4ft off our starboard rear quarter and ~7ft from the exit ladder. Note: every white dot here is one Sea Wasp; I think I've counted 90-something of them in this image:

sea_wasps.jpg

To surface right through this mess would not be fun.

If you get stung, the topical treatment is vinegar.

But the best medicine is to prevent getting stung. Three things work well here:

1. Minimize risk

Your exposed skin is the problem. Cover it up with a polartech, lycra or full length tropical wetsuit. Diving nude is for Masochists.

2. Plan Ahead:

They're attracted to lights, so in your dive briefing, very, very emphatically tell all divers to NOT spend any time directly under the diveboat with their lights blazing: they should spread out away from the boat so as to prevent the wasps from finding the boat and congregating at your dive exit.

3. Surface Smartly:

First, when doing your safety stop, try to do it with the minimum amount of lights on, to prevent attracting them to the water between you and your exit point.

Next, they'll usually be worst right near the surface, and even the lights on the diveboat will pull some of them in, so after you finish your safety stop, "blow a hole" through them to clear your exit. You do this by letting rip on your regulator's purge button a big, healthy burst of air - - usually, ~5 seconds is enough, but if you're pretty sure its going to be nasty (like you had a class of AOW's all sitting under the boat for a {bleeping} hour), try a 10-15 second long blast of air.

This blast of air will of course rise and it will carry the water column along with it. This rising water can't go any further "up" than the surface, so it then spreads out. All of this water flow causes a flushing action that "blows a hole" through any wasps that were hanging out near the surface where you're about to surface, and then pushes them away from your exit.

Feel free to give yourself another short blast of air on the way up, maybe 3ft before breaking the surface. Once you're at the surface, get out of the water smartly and promptly before the buggers can swim their way back into the clear water that you created.

For multiple divers surfacing, keep using the same spot over and over. This keeps pushing the wasps the same "away" direction and will make a cleaner hole.

4. Post Dive: I've seen divers seem to do all of the above perfectly, then get nailed a few minutes later while they're stripping off their wetsuit. The problem can be traced back to them not promptly getting all of the way out of the water: they stand on the ladder, hip-deep and allow the wasps to get onto their wetsuit. They then go strip it off 5 minutes later and get zapped and can't figure out why.

Lesson here is that #3's "GET OUT" means GET ALL THE WAY OUT of the water.

Follow the above, and when all of the other divers are looking for vinegar, you'll be saying, "Were there sea wasps on that dive?" :crafty:

-hh

-hh:
Diving nude is for Masochists.

-hh

:rofl3:

Figured that the first time I saw the teeth on a Moray.

Back
Top Bottom