Sea Star Dive Site

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Thanks for posting that. I dived Sea Star a couple of times last year and it's always good to see some history of the wrecks you dive.

Also, I seem to recall that the divers who originally started the project were killed before seeing it come to fruition and there is a plaque on the Sea Star commemorating the fact.

.[/QUOTE]
Also, I seem to recall that the divers who originally started the project were killed before seeing it come to fruition and there is a plaque on the Sea Star commemorating the fact.

The Sea Star was impounded by the Bahama goverment for smuggling drugs, It was sitting in the Harbor for quite a while ,and sunk. Cathy O'Brien A Instructor and sharkfeeder at UNEXSO had the Idea of sinking it as a dive site, she convinced the harbor and goverment to allow it to be sunk as a dive site. This was back in the summer of 2001. Cathy died in a car accident November 25th 2001. Unexso and Freeport towing, refloated the ship, and Woody and Christina (Instructors at Unexso) spent the winter and spring cleaning the ship preparing it for the dive site. It was sunk april 24th 2002. In september 2002 I made a plaque for Cathy and mounted on the wreck, some low life scum stole it,so I replaced it with a new one. I have no ties to Unexso Cathy was a friend and it is an nice reminder of her efforts and foresight.

Dive safe

Jim I attached a picture of the plaque

Reactions: Doc
Thanks for the update Jim. I'm pleased to say that the plaque was sitting proudly in place when I dived the Sea Star last December.

I remember the dive master telling us that someone had stolen the original... unbelievable!

The Sea Star was impounded by the Bahama goverment for smuggling drugs, It was sitting in the Harbor for quite a while ,and sunk. Cathy O'Brien A Instructor and sharkfeeder at UNEXSO had the Idea of sinking it as a dive site, she convinced the harbor and goverment to allow it to be sunk as a dive site. This was back in the summer of 2001. Cathy died in a car accident November 25th 2001. Unexso and Freeport towing, refloated the ship, and Woody and Christina (Instructors at Unexso) spent the winter and spring cleaning the ship preparing it for the dive site. It was sunk april 24th 2002. In september 2002 I made a plaque for Cathy and mounted on the wreck, some low life scum stole it,so I replaced it with a new one. I have no ties to Unexso Cathy was a friend and it is an nice reminder of her efforts and foresight.

Dive safe

Jim I attached a picture of the plaque
[/QUOTE]

Jim if you are still an active member of this page could you private message me. My girlfriend is cathy obriens youngest daughter look forward to hearing from you thank you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom