Sea skin drysuit

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rockystock1

Contributor
Reaction score
I'm purchasing a sea skin dry suit for the 1st time,, what are the best optional extras for a newbie.. And what are the pro's n cons of membrane or neoprene

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've got a seaskin nova (membrane suit). Options I would get are the explorer pockets, simple neck warmer, zip cover, neoprene socks as opposed to boots (and get a cheap pair of converse knock-offs from Primark or Sainsbury's as an overboot)and if you want dry gloves, the kwtt dryglove system as they are easy to install/take off as needed.
I personally prefer a membrane drysuit as I can choose my undersuit based on where i am diving (i only dive dry). I have taken my drysuit to Croatia and Belize. It's quick to dry and light to pack.
Hope that helps

Great rivers.. Thank you.. Do you have the auto dump option with an extra cuff dump??

I had the following options:

• Zipped cargo pocket on each leg
  • Neoprene over cuffs
  • Neoprene neck cover
  • Zip cover
  • Auto shoulder dump

Pockets are essential IMO and you are better to have two. Have them on the sides instead of the front, otherwise they can hinder you if you ever dive from a RIB without a ladder.

If I was ordering again, I'd probably have the dry glove system. I find the neoprene covers a bit of a hindrance, so I probably wouldn't bother, or even have neoprene seals instead of latex.

I would go for an auto dump over a cuff dump. Cuff dumps can be a nuisance if you are squeezing into a tight opening feet first. When you lift your arms, all that air in your suit is going to come bubbling out.

Great rivers.. Thank you.. Do you have the auto dump option with an extra cuff dump??

No I just have the auto dump. I have moved it to the DIR position, which puts it more towards the outside of your arm.

It's well worth a trip to Leeds to the factory to get fitted up and talk through the options.
I went for a membrane primarily for the front opening which means I can get in and out quickly without needing a buddy.
Side pockets definitely. If you're diving the UK from Nov to March then dry gloves are fantastic.
I have fitted socks rather than boots which are great. Fit is important though. So I picked up my drysuit and drove across to Divers Warehouse in Bradford to try on Rock boots wearing undercut socks and my drysuit. The ones with velcro straps are great (I think Sealskin sell something similar). I then chose some fins to fit (Holis F1).

Thank you for your help, I will take the trip to Leeds, although I have filled in the form, I will get pockets, socks, dry glove system and the auto dump (I will just set this to full and use my BCD for boyency)

Why are pockets so important ?? What do you keep in them??

Why do I need rock boots??

Mike

It's good to keep s bit of air in your dry suit as insulation.
Pockets for spare mask, dsmb and reel, torch, maybe wet notes.
You can either have socks or boots fitted to your dry suit. Lots of people prefer socks as they leave less room for air and help prevent floaty feet i.e. It's difficult to shift the air from your feet. Rock boots are the name for the boots you wear over the socks. Alternatively converse style boots are quite popular.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom