Sea sickness

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Perhaps it would've been more poetic and polite to say "cuddling the commode"...

If it gets your attention, it's worth recording and acknowledging in some way. I can't count how many baffling cases were eventually solved by the recall of a dismissed or long-past event or situation.

(Drunk? I've spent a few wild-child, self-inflicted nights cuddling the toilet bowl )

I love the choice of words my friend.

Maybe I'm making a mountain out of a molehill but I will try again at the end of the month and will see what happens.

There are a fair number of aspects that tend to amplify the condition (assuming it is just motion sickness)..Not the best understood ilness..

However...heat..CO2 buildup...restricting your breathing.. like wearing a wetsuit...amount of sleep... travelling before diving..

If I do a lot of travel.. car, plane.. whatever.. and then dive the next day, I'm sick. I understand it is because doing that disrupts the sensors.. and the ocean just piles on.

And the tendency does increase with age.

Not going out on the water will tend to make the condition worse (as in avoiding it for a time and then go back)...actually if get out once a month, I don't get sick... let two months go by.. and I am.

It so happens, I don't do the throw up thing...wish I did...but I know people that just get faint and dizzy...and some that just throw up...it varies a lot.

Some people are more prone to spatial disorientation than other. The source of this is the middle ear. First off I would try this, ONLY AT THE SURFACE DO NOT DESCEND, thanks. Cover your ears with plugs to prevent any water from entering you ear canal. Go snorkel AT THE SURFACE ONLY!!!!!!!! and try and prevent water from getting in your ears. If you don't get sea sick, then you have a problem wiht your ear middle or inner. Now if you do get sea sick and no water entered your ears then you have another issue which we might discuss later, but my hunch is that if you don't get water in your ears you will not get sick. The clue is that your issue is acute and not chronic you already had 100 dives and the all of a sudden...........does not add up. You might have to seek a doctor who is a pro at dive medicine. Also the best of the best get sea sick if a 300 foot cruise ship is in 50 foot seas even the captain will get sick, so what I am getting at is that if the water in your ear is the cause then you have you answer, if you get sea sick aboard the pacific princess is 10 foot seas then that is a different deal.

Last edited:
Some people are more prone to spatial disorientation than other. The source of this is the middle ear. First off I would try this, ONLY AT THE SURFACE DO NOT DESCEND, thanks. Cover your ears with plugs to prevent any water from entering you ear canal. Go snorkel AT THE SURFACE ONLY!!!!!!!! and try and prevent water from getting in your ears. If you don't get sea sick, then you have a problem wiht your ear middle or inner. Now if you do get sea sick and no water entered your ears then you have another issue which we might discuss later, but my hunch is that if you don't get water in your ears you will not get sick. The clue is that your issue is acute and not chronic you already had 100 dives and the all of a sudden...........does not add up. You might have to seek a doctor who is a pro at dive medicine. Also the best of the best get sea sick if a 300 foot cruise ship is in 50 foot seas even the captain will get sick, so what I am getting at is that if the water in your ear is the cause then you have you answer, if you get sea sick aboard the pacific princess is 10 foot seas then that is a different deal.

My compliments on covering a fairly complex issue so clearly...

This would seem to be a difficult issue to seperate the trivial from the important....

I did +20 boatdives and never had the problem with seasickness, until one day when I was a bit de-hydrated, eaten crap etc and ended up hangin' of the reling.
After the ascent, my mate went back on the boat while I waited for the last team to come up. While lying in the water I felt better, but once the boat were ready to go I went back up and it didn't take more than 10sec and I lost my lunch again.

A few days later I went back out to do a boatdive, this time I made sure I had a good nights sleep, lots of water, food etc.
Still, I felt like crap when we came out and this day ended like the last one.

Another week later I went snorkling and started thinking about the last dives I did when seasickness came on my mind. In a splitsec I felt bad again..

I still have the same problem now, several months later. Everytime I'm in the water I start feeling bad, but only when I start to think about seasickness.

The (bad) point I'm trying to make is that I think that once it gets stuck in your head that you can get seasick it's hard to stop thinking about it.
I'm 20 years old so it can't be that realted to age.

But then again, I'm not a doctor.

I hate getting sea sickness! Blah!

I used to get seasick with the best of them. I found what I put in my stomach really mattered. So on the morning of diving, I start with dry toast, no butter, and 1/2 cup coffee, and if really needed one bowl of oatmeal, no milk. You can have a little sugar.

To sum it up, ease up on the protein. Let it wait until you are back on shore or get your "Sea legs" I usually find I get them after my first dive.

So, maybe try this. It's a LOT cheaper than all those Doctor visits and may result in more $$ for diving. :)

I get sick as a dog on boats/planes/back seats of cars... When I lived in hilly curvy country and had access to boating frequently it wasn't a problem. Now I live in the land of straight roads, and flat land, nothing to challenge my senses and get me used to motion.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom