Sea Shepherd is coming to New York

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Why doesnt the SS boat do some good and go hang off the coast of some poor African nation and prevent illegal poaching of ANY fish? Do some actual good by helping local nationals whose fish stocks are being depleted by ships who illegally take fish away from countries that cannot defend themselves. Countries like Liberia, Sierra Leon etc. Even Somalia has a huge problem with mobile fish factories stripping their waters of the very food they need.

I would rather watch a tv show with them duking it out with actual "illegal" ships engaged in "illegal" fishing while dodging the occasional RPG being shot by pirates in a little dingy. It would be better than the heartlessness the SS Captain showed on his tv show when the poor Japanese sailor was lost at sea.

I think it was Norwegia. Let's go dive it!

It's diveable.

it was refloated/savaged, then determined it had too much damage to it, then sunk as a dive site.

you can even see it on Google Maps. (look for the hull in the water near this link.)

34° 58? 29.28? S, 173° 56? 5.64? E - Google Maps

Why doesnt the SS boat do some good and go hang off the coast of some poor African nation and prevent illegal poaching of ANY fish? Do some actual good by helping local nationals whose fish stocks are being depleted by ships who illegally take fish away from countries that cannot defend themselves. Countries like Liberia, Sierra Leon etc. Even Somalia has a huge problem with mobile fish factories stripping their waters of the very food they need.

I would rather watch a tv show with them duking it out with actual "illegal" ships engaged in "illegal" fishing while dodging the occasional RPG being shot by pirates in a little dingy. It would be better than the heartlessness the SS Captain showed on his tv show when the poor Japanese sailor was lost at sea.

why? there is no media coverage in some poor countries fishing problems.

There was a show on History Channel last year about some 'ex special op's" soldiers that did paid jobs for African countries. Some episodes covered them going after illegal fishing ships. I can't remember the name of the show. maybe someone else can.

I'm sure Sea Shepherd scores hugely in donations, the fact that they're sucking up for free labor to....

"Volunteer to provide the ship security, day and night positions available."

Brilliant, "we've painted a gigundous bullseye on our asses and we're willing to put volunteers in the line of fire....FOR FREE".

Volunteer to staff the literature or merchandise table and sign up new members.

This one I actually agree with, wouldn't want someone dumb enough to run a $3,000,000 boat in front of a whaling ship under way to pimp your merchandise....or count money.

Volunteer to assist the crew members who will be leading tours of the ship and
help keep tours together.

The crew needs help with this? This isn't an activist ship, it's a dockside tourist pyramid scheme complete with free sucker labor.

Volunteer to prepare and clean up after tours.

Awesome!!!! Do you at least get an I swabbed the toilets of the Steve Irwin hemp t-shirt?

Take a tour of the Steve Irwin and tell your friends.

Hey guys, I went on the ship of fools!!!! Yeah, pass.

Didn't the French do that with a Greenpeace boat?

I think it was Norwegia. Let's go dive it!
Oh thank god, I was about to say that if the French did it I wouldn't be able to.

Because then they might be in some actual danger and in a position to make actual change.

Probably because Sea Shepherd wants to prevent the killing of marine life. Why would they want to "protect" marine life from illegal fishers, only so that those same fish are there for the local Africans to catch them :huh:

Sea Shepherd is there to save marine life, not assist poor nations' economies. Plus if the fish were there for the locals they would probably just over-fish the area themselves, just like it has been done in the Caribbean :idk:

If you don't like Sea Shepherd because you think their methods are extreme or you think they are eco-terrorists, or media wh0res...that's fine. Everyone is entitled to their opinion. But this recommendation just seemed pretty silly to me, personally.

Will there be any complimentary refreshments or balloons? :D

Why doesnt the SS boat do some good and go hang off the coast of some poor African nation and prevent illegal poaching of ANY fish?

I think they would better serve mankind if they went and sailed the cost of Somolia and fought against all the pirates that were capturing ships and people......IJS.

This just might be opportunity to stage a protest against the SS and their kind of extremest tactics and attitudes

...they are a fanatical group that endangers people with grandstanding and sometimes illegal actions because they think they are right

There are many fanatical groups in the world that think they are right and it's OK for others to suffer the consequences because ... "the ends justify the means" ... or ... "they brought this on themselves" ...

I do not agree with ANY of them

As long as we get another wreck to dive I say let's go :thumb:. They deserve everything they give out and even more.

This just might be opportunity to stage a protest against the SS and their kind of extremest tactics and attitudes

...they are a fanatical group that endangers people with grandstanding and sometimes illegal actions because they think they are right

There are many fanatical groups in the world that think they are right and it's OK for others to suffer the consequences because ... "the ends justify the means" ... or ... "they brought this on themselves" ...

I do not agree with ANY of them

Back
Top Bottom