Sea&Sea YS-D2 strobe failure

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Separate subject but it's highly unlikely there is any functional difference between stock and Pro Eneloops for strobe use other than the Pro has more capacity when new. Discharge slope is almost identical. They age faster (internal resistance goes up at a higher rate), so they likely lose that lead in a couple years of use.

View attachment 514866
I have a panasonic charger professional for eneloop that tells you the capacity of the batteries
I have tested my eneloop standard that I use for my mouse and keyboard and in effect the charge was still very much like 1870 mAh
However I also tested a set of 5 years old eneloop pro and they were all above 2000 mAh mostly 2200-2300 mAh
Ultimately it makes no sense to use standard eneloop because depending on what you shoot you may run out of juice during the dive so there is value in higher power especially for wide angle shooting

I have a panasonic charger professional for eneloop that tells you the capacity of the batteries
I have tested my eneloop standard that I use for my mouse and keyboard and in effect the charge was still very much like 1870 mAh
However I also tested a set of 5 years old eneloop pro and they were all above 2000 mAh mostly 2200-2300 mAh
Ultimately it makes no sense to use standard eneloop because depending on what you shoot you may run out of juice during the dive so there is value in higher power especially for wide angle shooting
Clearly the black Eneloops have more A*h (and keep the output voltage a little better, when in need of delivery). The official raiting is, however, that the black ones can be recharged 500 times, while the "regular" white ones can be recharged 2100 times.
There is approx. 40% more capacity (and maybe few 0,1s faster recharging time of the strobe) against 4x longer lifetime (I believe these factory announced lifetimes are the theoretical maximum and in the real life it is shorter)...

I, personally, had to retire many more black Eneloops during diving trips, compared to white ones (I always have spares with me). This fail of accus is a potential problem, in case one is somewhere far away and to me more important than higher capacity...

SInce then, I only buy new whites Eneloops, just because they are more reliable on the midterm. I have YS-D2 and Z330 and with both the white ones last for at least three dives, as I use them (= the entire day, althgough when 4 dives I would replace them, just for safety) with the white standrad ones - no need to take the black ones with more capacity...

Wolfgang

Clearly the black Eneloops have more A*h (and keep the output voltage a little better, when in need of delivery). The official raiting is, however, that the black ones can be recharged 500 times, while the "regular" white ones can be recharged 2100 times.
There is approx. 40% more capacity (and maybe few 0,1s faster recharging time of the strobe) against 4x longer lifetime (I believe these factory announced lifetimes are the theoretical maximum and in the real life it is shorter)...

I, personally, had to retire many more black Eneloops during diving trips, compared to white ones (I always have spares with me). This fail of accus is a potential problem, in case one is somewhere far away and to me more important than higher capacity...

SInce then, I only buy new whites Eneloops, just because they are more reliable on the midterm. I have YS-D2 and Z330 and with both the white ones last for at least three dives, as I use them (= the entire day, althgough when 4 dives I would replace them, just for safety) with the white standrad ones - no need to take the black ones with more capacity...

Wolfgang
I test my batteries. Even 5 years later they hold more than 1900 mAh which means it is pointless to reduce my firepower by default. Batteries are not that expensive strobes are. Is a bit like camera batteries and memory cards no reason to save pennies when your equipment costs thousands

Back
Top Bottom