Sea & Sea YS-110 or Inon Z2000 for my Oly

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubacalifornia

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm ready to purchase my first strobe for use with an Olympus C-5060 in a PT-020 housing. Question is, do I go with a Sea & Sea YS-110DX, or an Inon D-2000? The price is similar and I've read great things about both. I plan to buy the strobe with a ULCS hardware package that includes 5" & 8" arms with three clamps. If you have a preference and would like to post, please tell me why you favor one over the other. Was thinking about buying from Reef Photo.

Thanks much,
Kevin

Both are really nice. If you're able to use the hotshoe and you plan to get a ttl converter, I'd go with the YS-110 because it is compatible with most ttl converters for the Oly. If you're going with optical, Inon has a really nice optical connection set-up that will work with the D-2000S. If you use the D-2000W, you can use a hotshoe/hardwire connection, but you'll probably have to use manual settings. Both strobes work very nicely with optical signal including preflash settings. I had trouble setting the D2000S for my preflash, but mainly because the instructions are in Japanese and I think the instructions I got from the shop were backwards with regard to installation or removal of the preflash magnet.

i second the YS-110 and getting it from Reef photo. i just bought this exact set-up from them for a great price too. so far i have been very happy with the pics that i have taken with it topside. it should be with in the next few weeks that i get it wet. if you go this route and can swing the extra $$$ get the H/W conversion done to the bulk head for the 5 pin Nikonis cable. you will be glad you did. and let Reef do the work.
Bill

The YS-110 is definitely the way to go! Its a great strobe and very compact. The great thing is of course that it can be used with a fiber optic or Nikonos sync cord.

Hello all.
I have the same question as scubacalifornia and have read a lot of posts, but I have still many questions, so I kindly request your help.
I have an Olympus C-5050 and PT-015.
I will buy a YS-110 or Inon Z2000(S or W), but I have to understand some things first.
I will have to use the strobe in Slave mode because the C-5050 doesn´t have TTL, right?
In that case the INON Clear Photo System is the best, no?
To use the TTL function it seems that I will have to use a TTL conversion, like Heinrich Weikamp or Athena TTL conversion cable. In this case the YS-110 is better than the Z2000, right?
In the future, if I upgrade the camera to a SLR both strobes are good?
Thank you for your patient to read so many questions.
Mad.

Back
Top Bottom