Sea & Sea vs nauticam for Sony a7iv

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Calishere

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Looking for advice on choosing a housing for my Sony a7iv... Currently between the sea & sea and the nauticam... Currently in Japan, and can take advantage of the Yen rate, as well as tax free status... There's about a $900 dollar difference in the housing prices here .... with the sea & sea being the cheaper option. Will do a mix of photo and video.. Do not have any lighting solutions yet, or a preference for optics...

I shoot Nauticam. I really like these housings. I am a still shooter so video is not my thing. Nauticam housings are reliable and they have great ergonomics. You can also get a vacuum lock system on them (and I bet for Sea and Sea also). Sea and Sea enjoys are fine reputation but I have never played with one.

You might go to the Backscatter site and see if they have reviews for the respective housings for that camera. I see you are in Japan so calling Backscatter for their opinion might not be practical. Given that you are in Japan, you might be able to get service on the housing more easily and that is not to be sneezed at.

I shoot Nauticam. I really like these housings. I am a still shooter so video is not my thing. Nauticam housings are reliable and they have great ergonomics. You can also get a vacuum lock system on them (and I bet for Sea and Sea also). Sea and Sea enjoys are fine reputation but I have never played with one.

You might go to the Backscatter site and see if they have reviews for the respective housings for that camera. I see you are in Japan so calling Backscatter for their opinion might not be practical. Given that you are in Japan, you might be able to get service on the housing more easily and that is not to be sneezed at.
I appreciate the input and suggestions, yeah I'm stationed here for at least another year or two.. It isn't much of a challenge to ship things to or from the states, but getting things back quickly wouldn't be a bad thing if I do get either one.

I believe the newer version of the Sea & Sea comes with a similar vacuum system that the nauticam has.. though I should probably go in person and check both of them out.

I appreciate the input and suggestions, yeah I'm stationed here for at least another year or two.. It isn't much of a challenge to ship things to or from the states, but getting things back quickly wouldn't be a bad thing if I do get either one.

I believe the newer version of the Sea & Sea comes with a similar vacuum system that the nauticam has.. though I should probably go in person and check both of them out.
If you can go and get a hands on, it can make a difference. Also, with lenses, ports, focus lights, strobes etc. A difference in price might not matter that much vs total price. I think you can get vacuum systems on most housings now. I think Backscatter can fit their system on most housings. And a vacuum system makes a BIG difference. Once the system is sealed, mine gives a green light, it is good to go. I have never had any loss of seal in hundreds of dives.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom