Sea&Sea DX5000G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubaculture

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Hey guys

Just a question for all you pros :)

What are your thoughts on this camera? I have a few students interested in a digi camera, pretty much point and shoot and they have asked for info on this.

Anyone use this? Any feedback? The official site doesnt have much info on it.

Thanks!

The camera is good, but very expensive. You will find more people using Canon, Fuji and Olympus cameras. These cameras are top quality, and have full-feature housings available.

I tried one out with a single strobe when I was renting a camera awaiting the replacement of my flooded one.

It was all right, but getting good focus on it was VERY difficult, particularly when close to the subject. I tried to take about 15 pictures of one nudi, using different settings, auto mode and so forth, and nothing but blur.

I really like my Oly 5060 a lot better, and with the Ikelite housing, it's pretty much the same price. With the PT-020 (buying both online), the Olympus was considerably cheaper.

Ishie,

Just curious but did the 5000G have a macro mode button and did you know about it? I have the 3000G which has that button. Unless you set the camera to macro mode anything closer than 10 inches or so will not focus.

I'm considering an upgrade from the DX3000 to the 5000 but am also looking at the Canons. Regarding Canon houseings...do they have the standar fitting on the bottom for a tripod mount or, in this case, a strobe arm? I'd like to keep my current Sea & Sea strobe and arm and use it with whatever I get.

I'd be curious about macro mode on the 5000 as well. I use the macro mode on the DX3000 regularly and get good results.

Ishie:
It had a macro mode, but if I'm remembering right, the strobe wouldn't fire while using it. Things came out dark or blurry up close.

Cool fish pictures, though.

The Macro works great and I have not had any problem with flash on macro.

Another great feature is the very very short shutter delay. Some digital cameras have 1/2 to 1 sec delay from the time that you push the shutter button until it takes the photo. Unless you are good at following the fish, or the fish will pose, you will miss many good shots.

The DX5000G takes the picture when you push the button. Now I have fish faces rather than fish tails.

Gary

I picked up the 5000G today, and I think the manual leaves a lot to be desired.

The camera has a manual focus mode, and the manual shows how to set the option, but I can't see where it says how to actually use it. Anyone know how?

Also, the ads for the camera state you can "Apply memo notes to every photo-later used to catalog automatically". Didn't see that in the manual either.

Any help is appreciated.

don

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom