Sea & Sea dx-1g

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
I'm looking for any feedback on the Sea & Sea dx-1g. I'm finally retiring my Nikonos V. I've got a D100 and a D200 but the cost of the housings as well as the size and other issues have me looking at the dx-1g. I've tried to search this forum but either I'm using the wrong format for search or there aren't any posting which would surprise me. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

I own the DX-1g and I am very happy with the pictures. The one issue that I have to overcome is that what you see in the lcd screen is much brighter than the actual picture. So you need to adjust the camera when taking a picture. The actual picture comes out darker than what you see on the screen. Other than that, I think the camera takes great pics. Email me at jamescrew6@verizon.net if you have any questions.

Regards,

Bill

I have the DX5000G, and have been very happy with the results. the 2 cameras and setups are similar in size and weight and are very easy to deal with underwater.

I have the DX-1G with wide angle lens and the YS-110 strobe since November last year. Before that I also had the Nikonos V with SB-105 and after that the Sealife DC500. I also have a Nikon D70 for normal photography but had the same argument (expensive underwater house) to go for an alternative under water. The DX-1G promised to be that in a smaller package. I don't completely agree with that statement, but this is still a great camera. The CCD is definitely smaller than in a DSLR like the Nikon and that translates in more grain in the pictures at high magnification. The pictures are not a sharp as they could be with a DSLR. The package is definitely smaller and more easy to handle. I am still strugling with the strobe to get good exposures. It is not clear if the camera has TTL. I tried both the TTL-setting and the manual setting on the strobe without much difference. I get the impression that the guidenummer is not as high as stated in the specs. If I intentionally assume a lower guidenumber I get better exposures. But also that is a problem that is easy to overcome.
The camera is great for macro shots although it is difficult to determine on the LCD panel if the focus is correct. This is because of the major flaw of the software of this camera. When in manual mode, which is necessary to work with the external strob, the intensity of the LCD panel is used to show if you are over- or underexposed. Because of the low light condition under water this always results in a very dark LCD-image. But the automatic focus does a great job, so most pictures come out sharp. Hopefully Sea & Sea will come out with a firmware upgrade to correct this flaw. There is absolutely no need to use the brightness of the LCD-panel as a measure of correct exposure, especially when you are working with a strobe.
With the wide angle lens and the camera on high sensitivity (800 ASA) the camera takes perfect underwater panoramas. I use this to show the underwater landscape. I was never able to do this with the two previous cameras.

All in all a good choice if you don't want to go for the DSLR-package. You can see pictures taken with this camera on my website (see signature, follow the recent links on the home page) or for pictures of my recent dives with this camera look at my picasaweb-site Picasa Web Albums - John.
I am always prepared to answer more questions about this camera.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom