Sea & Sea 860G problem with auto focus

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ephant

Reaction score
I am a beginner underwater photographer and I just got a Sea & Sea 860G. I had trouble on my first dive trip with the camera. It seemed to want to stop auto-focusing after a few photos. It didn't seem to matter what the depth was. Topside it worked fine, just underwater after a period of time it would quit focusing. Has anyone else had this problem? Is it operator error, or is there something I can do to fix it?
Thanks for any advice/information you can give me.

Usually that's due to the fact that there's not enough light as you get underwater. What kind of shots have you been taking? Were you taking pictures in a low light environment?

No, plenty of light; just unfocused. I have a large external stobe that seems to work fine and provides plenty of light. Thanks for the advice, though.

The strobe will provide the light the moment the camera takes the pictures. But what about before the picture is taken? Is there enough light for the camera to find the focal point of the shot?

Also, describe what not focusing is. You halfway press the shutter and nothing happens or the lens goes in and out searching for a focal point?

Halfway press the shutter and nothing happens. I've actually talked to Sea&Sea and they say that this camera does have a history of thie problem. They have fixed it, they say. I've sent the camera off and I hope that a new one will come back in time for my trip in two weeks (less than that, now).

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom