Sea&Sea 8000G

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DiveMaven

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
We recently purchased this point and shoot digital camera as an upgrade from our Pentax camera and housing. My husband was looking for a compact digital camera that he could shoot both macro and wide angle with and the information on the Sea&Sea 8000G sounded like it would fit the bill.

ALL of the information on Sea&Sea's website about this camera was 100% accurate and the camera functioned exactly as my husband wanted. :D :D He was able to get within 2cm of the macro he was shooting, and on wide angle it was just as great. He can shoot RAW, can change the white balance, or leave the camera on automatic and let it do it's own thing. He does need to consider getting a strobe, but we'll cross that bridge another day. :wink:

Sea&Sea claims this camera is as close to an SLR as you can get in a compact digital and frankly, I would agree. We would recommend this camera strongly to folks not ready (or wanting) to go the SLR route.

A friend of mine owns one and says that while the pictures are great, the cycle time between shots can be pretty long. What's your experience?

We've found the cycle time to be very short unless we're using the flash. It's the flash that really needs the power, so it takes longer. It's still shorter than our old camera so for us it's better.

DiveMaven:
We recently purchased this point and shoot digital camera as an upgrade from our Pentax camera and housing. My husband was looking for a compact digital camera that he could shoot both macro and wide angle with and the information on the Sea&Sea 8000G sounded like it would fit the bill.

ALL of the information on Sea&Sea's website about this camera was 100% accurate and the camera functioned exactly as my husband wanted. :D :D He was able to get within 2cm of the macro he was shooting, and on wide angle it was just as great. He can shoot RAW, can change the white balance, or leave the camera on automatic and let it do it's own thing. He does need to consider getting a strobe, but we'll cross that bridge another day. :wink:

Sea&Sea claims this camera is as close to an SLR as you can get in a compact digital and frankly, I would agree. We would recommend this camera strongly to folks not ready (or wanting) to go the SLR route.

We've been very pleased with our as well. This is our third underwater camera We have two strobes and we get excellent pictures. The cycle time is about 5 to 7 seconds when shooting with flash but on an hour long dive I will still shoot some 80 to 90 pictures.

We bought 2700 or 2900 ma rechargeable batteries for the camera and strobes and we load the camera when we leave the house and break it down when we get back. With the batteries and the 2 gig card you don't have to worry about swapping stuff out on the dive boat.

DiveMaven:

I had the 8000G and I would not agree that it is as close to an SLR as you can get in a compact digital. If the 8000G is great for you and you like it, perfect. But there are several other compact digital cameras that are much better quality and have better features (search for other threads on this subject).

None of these are close to an SLR, but other compact digitals are much closer than the 8000G.

DiveMaven:

Can you post or link any of your pics so we can see your results???....

Let's see some photos! Once we get some images up and maybe a few more "concrete" details of what you all liked, I can add this thread to the Sticky so others who are considering this model can find it more easily.

I see the issue of recycle/write time has come up - it would be good to get a bit more details of this along with how long the batteries last etc.

Thanks! I'll add this thread to the Sticky later today :)

I'm wondering what exactly makes this compact "as close to DSLR as you can get"? It seems a strange claim to me and I think it is something that we need to nail down a bit for people who are researching for a new camera.

It's nice to see such a positive review on a new system :) What other systems have you and your husband used?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom