Sea Rovers - Who is going to see what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

King Kong Matt

Contributor
Reaction score
I know there was another thread about Sea Rovers, but as we are only a couple days away, I thought I would start a new one with the expectation that most people have probably firmed up their plans as to whether they going or not, what they want to see when they get there, etc...

My wife and I purchased a Sat. combo pass which means we will be there for the exhibition on Sat. and for the film festival during the evening.

Things I really want to see:

Salvage and Saturation on the S.S. Republic

This expedition was mounted to document the wreck and recover artifacts and possibly a US Navy payroll from the White Star Liner, SS Republic, which broke in half while being towed to Boston following a collision with the SS Florida. Aboard the TWINDRILL, a four man dive team saturated at a equivalent of 240 feet sea water on Trimix gas, (Helium / Nitrogen / Oxygen) and spent thirty days at pressure with up to 16 hours bottom time per day surveying the vessel and salvaging several thousand items, including the Bursar’s safe using a builder’s plan and color SONAR. An actual operational original Edison Light Bulb was located and many other amazing artifacts that are pictured in the slide presentation. The REPUBLIC was the First ship to use the new Marconi Radio to send an SOS. The salvage was the first time that liquid oxygen and helium was used for diving operations offshore. This is a very interesting program for people interested in Gas mixing- and mixed gas physiology as it provides full graphic explanation.

Deep Adventure: A dive to the Carl Bradley

On November 18th, 1958, the freighter Carl D. Bradley broke apart and sank in Northern Lake Michigan. This past summer, Mirek Standowicz became the first diver to succeed in diving the wreck, which lies in 372 feet. Hear the story of this historical dive and see close-up video of Bradley's pilothouse area.

Caving in Australia: The Nullarbor Region

The Nullabor is a dry region on the south coast of Australia. The area is very remote and the environment is extremely arid. The water table is found 300' below the surface. This creates an interesting challenge since expeditions must be completely self-contained. Medical emergencies may require evacuation by plane. The team explored five caves in the area including the famous Cocklebiddy Cave, the longest underwater cave in Australia. Lamar Hires was the first American to make the dive back to the breakdown room 1200 ft from the surface pool.

If anyone is not going to the show, but would like to see the program for the show, you can take a look at:

http://www.searovers.org/ws.exe/PublicDaytime03

(This link should work...if not, you can find everything off the base URL)

What is everyone else planning on checking out?

Got my tix last night sat day/evening film fest. I'm looking forward to Brett Gilliams presentation. He did an excelent job last year and gave out fee copies of Fathoms. It's like a National Geographic quality magazine for divers. I think I will check out the SS Republic, and the one about the Carl Bradley too. For anyone thats not going you really should. It's very interesting and the raffle and door prizes are fantastic. A couple of years ago i won a dive in the giant ocean tank at the NE Aquarium.

Just my .02$

I'm definately going [now that I've settled my conflicts for that weekend :)]

I've been considering trying to get in on the Kevin Gurr workshop; but I don't know if I want to try and sit still that long. I definately want to check out the "Recent Cave Expeditions" talk.

wackodacko once bubbled...
are tix available at the door? i saw the order form online.. but.. umm.. didnt order (yet)..

I believe they are yes. You can order online and they will be waiting for you when you check in. I don't know about the regular events but I was told by a friend last year that the film festival does sell out...

I'm not planning on attending saturday, but I'll bee in the Venetian room all morning on sunday for the archaeology seminars. I'm not sure about the afternoon yet.

I'll be there all day Saturday. Probably the 3 seminars in the Oval in the AM (Stellwagen bank, Dominica, & Carl Bradley dive). Will likely be bumming around for the afternoon session, but I definitely want to hear the Wreck Salvage Rules (or something to that effect) talk, maybe 1 or 2 others.

Sunday I won't be there, unless the weather turns sour, in which case I might make my way back. I'll see those of you that are going there!

-Roman.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom