Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Better to bring them and not need them than wish you brought them. If you find you don't need one, just keep it in its case.

The life is 80% macro, but maybe a Whale shark will show up.

Of course, it will make it's appearance when everyone has their macro - setup!

Take both. I was there last week (for the third trip there now in the past 3 years) and there were ample opportunities for both. Visibility is highly variable there so some dives may be really macro focused due to lower viz, but for wide angle subjects you can have Whale Sharks, Sperm Whales, Sea Lions, and possibly a few other larger fish and even birds. Whale sharks really need as wide as you can get, and you will be snorkeling with them so that you will know ahead of time that you need your wide angle. And if you find sperm whales they are not macro by any means :). The sea lions will be around on many dives and provide some great wide angle opportunities as they will be happy to get nice and close in many cases and will provide some intersting expressions as well. And lots of macro opportunities, we found 4 sea horses, lots of crabs, a few shrimp, and lots of nudis. On a couple dives the nudis were so thick you could count a dozen or more in a few square meters. Night dives will also keep you busy with the macro, so be sure to bring good batteries for your strobe and focus light. The nudis vary from smaller 1" or smaller flabellina, to large 8"+ large tiger nudis. We also found a few lettuce nudies that were much larger than we normally see there at around 5". All the nudis there this year seemed to be coming in jumbo sizes, and spanish shawls were so thick at times you could take a photos with two or even three in a single frame. And the divemasters will tell you during the dive briefings what the different opportunities are and if it will be more of a macro or wide angle dive, or your choice so you have have the best lens with you for each dive.

Have a great time!

And don't forgot those lovely huge schools of jacks at La Reina ... mobulas and maybe even cormorants diving through the bait balls around where the sealions are - I so love that place. Have a lovely time and look forward to hearing how you get on, and seeing your photos :)

maria

Just returned from my trip to the Sea of Cortez. I used the Rocio Del Mar for this trip. Also, we were blessed with the presence of Pete and Elena on this trip. Yes, Pete the head cheese of Scubaboard.com was on this trip. Apparently, they are good friends of Dora, owner of the boat. We had a great week of diving even though the viz was not the best. Here is a link to my pictures I took while on the trip:

Sea of Cortez August 2012

Looks like fun! I'm heading there next year around this time. Would you mind if I shared your photo link with some buddies?

Go for it 4dawgma..it is there for everyone to see.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom