Sea of Cortez

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PufferRaper

Reaction score
Howdy,
I live in Tucson, Arizona and my primary dive spot is in San Carlos, Sonora, Mexico these days. My first dives were in 1969 from a boat off Catalina Island. I was first certified by NASDS in 1981. My gear is mostly Scubapro. I prefer the G250HP reg and my current bc is the S-TEK with the RecTek cell. My wife of 22 years also dives. Im a professional knifemaker by trade but scuba is my life.
Survive and Dive !!! Nothing else matters.

Welcome to the Scuba Board. :hi: Fun place to hang out, compare, argue, etc. :thumb:

Never been to the Sea of Cortez. Also known as Gulf of California, isn't it, with Baja actually being old Southern Calf? Got it on my wish list. Is San Carlos the place to go...?

don

Thanks for the greeting.
I dont know if its the best place to go or not because I havent been diving anywhere else in the Sea of Cortez yet. San Carlos, Sonora is on the mainland side of the Gulf of Mexico as its also called. On the Baja pennisula towards the tip is La Paz Bay. Ive heard its pretty dang primo. San Carlos is only a 325 mile drive from Tucson so I dont have to fly and that really helps cut the costs for me.

I lived there for many years. I miss it terribly, even if there's a lot more water here in SC. :)

One day I'll be back. I look forward to it.

...So how is it there these days? I'm coming up on three years away from my beloved AZ.

In fact, I was just talking about it tonight... Devil's Highway and a fast motorcycle... :)

I've never dove the northern area of the Sea of Cortez only the southern area, Cabo San Lucas, La Paz. They are interesting but not fabulous. The Sea of Cortez is famous for its whale watching and hammerheads over sea mounts. Neither have I done or seen. But if its close to you, dive it. I'm sure any dive is interesting if you love diving.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom