Sea of Cortez instead of Coz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The dormitory style accommodations on El Duque aren't designed for privacy. I've done the dorm style areas on a couple of California dive boats and never had any real issues. The only time I was in my bunk was when I was sleeping.

Based on the photos of boat, it looks like the operators have done a nice job with refitting and upgrading the boat. We used to see it occasionally while diving in the San Carlos, Sonora, area; it wasn't in great shape back then.

One of the dive shops in Tucson, AZ, has booked the boat for a fall trip this year. They'll probably have a blast. I thought about signing on with that group, but had some other stuff come-up.

-AZTinman

One thing to keep in mind is that the weather can be finicky. Hurricane season in Baja can be tricky. I took a trip one early September and got to meet Norbert (in 2014). Obviously diving was out of the question though watching the tide go up was amazing and scary at the same time!

www.dolphndivebaja.com I've dove with Rafa the divemaster for many years. Loreto is a special place and its very remote. whales dolphins, dove with humbolt squid. one of my favorite places on earth. after you dive go on a hike in the canyons, its a great place

Flights direct into loreto from Los Angeles on Alaska air. Sign up for a Alaska airlines CC and get a buddy pass for a discounted flight

Anyone want to split a charter of El Duque? So far it's just the fiance and I right now, it would be $1500/pp if I can find two more people to go! They have two cabins with bunk beds so it wouldn't be crowded...

Anyone want to split a charter of El Duque? So far it's just the fiance and I right now, it would be $1500/pp if I can find two more people to go! They have two cabins with bunk beds so it wouldn't be crowded...

When are you thinking about doing this?

I'm guessing you want this year. I would be so tempted but I've got Red Sea in September already and Cabo Pulmo in November. GRRRR!!
I wish I could just go diving and skip out on having to work! :-D

The fiance now has a week of vacation available in Sept, from the 21st-29th. We've been to Cozumel twice last year and spent a week in Bonaire this year. She kind of wants to go back to Coz but I wouldn't mind trying something different.

I'm thinking maybe either Cabo Pulmo, La Paz, or Loreto. We aren't really night life people so that's not important but we do like trying out different restaurants instead of eating the same food at a resort every day. I guess what's holding me back from trying out the West coast is the water visibility, long boat rides, and cost of diving. Is there any decent shore diving available at those locations? I was thinking of maybe trying two locations in a week but the SO doesn't like packing up and changing locations in the middle of a relatively short trip.

Also considering a short Red Sea trip to Sharm as the flights from Cleveland aren't too hateful (~23 hours). Fly out Friday night, come back Sunday. Maybe do Camel Divers or try to talk the SO into a liveaboard. Chances of this are fairly low though. How would the Sharm diving compare to Cortez?

Thanks!

The Sea of Cortez is very different to the waters around Coz so I guess it's all a matter of knowing when and what to do there. Visibility is on its best in summer and fall months (60-100 ft). Winter and spring can have superb viz as well but it's very dependent on upwelling currents and planktonik blooms. I tend to recommend longer stays during the colder months to make sure you get several days of good conditions. Boat rides tend to be longer comparatively, but not necessarily if you know where to go. Diving in La Paz probably has the longer boat rides (although they are gorgeous as the scenery and wildlife normally makes up for the trip). Pulmo and Cabo are normally shorter rides as they have limited dive sites near by.
I live in Loreto and we have several islands near by. Boat rides take anywhere from 20 to 45 min.

If you are considering trying several locations in a short trip, you might want to stay around La Paz, as Cabo Pulmo is not too far. Loreto is 4 hours away by car so you might consideri it too. Personally I wouldn't prioritize Cabo in a dive trip, but that's only my opinion.
Let me know if you need any other specifics ! Happy to help

My wife and I have done a couple of two week long trips to Loreto and loved it. The town is sleepy and safe. Good food, decent hotels, and great diving when the water is warm. Cabo Pulmo is on our list for one day too.

Back
Top Bottom