Sea of Cortez ID help please

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

koozemani

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Some pics from a recent trip to San Carlos, Sonora in the Sea of Cortez. For some of these I just need a confirmation, for some others I haven't a clue. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The pictures are untouched except for cropping.

DSCN2085.jpg
Possibly a Thysanozoon sp., but it appears that they are from Indonesia. Help

DSCN2314.jpg
A tube Blenny?

DSCN2338.jpg
Coral Hawkfish? But the coloring seems off

DSCN2365.jpgDSCN2370.jpg
Flabellina Marcusorum?

DSCN2414.jpg
No idea

DSCN2443.jpg
No idea

DSCN2445.jpg
Taken on a night dive, it was the size of a Honeydew Melon. Help

DSCN2458.jpg
No idea. Taken on a night dive.

DSCN2473.jpg
A Damselfish? No idea what kind

Last edited:
I can help with a few, I think - and will send your link to someone who probably can help a lot. I have the same species in a pic as your #1 - I think it's a Pseudoceros mexicanus - Mexican skirt dancer flatworm. Number 3 is, I think, a coral hawkfish - cirrhitichthys oxycephalus - my pic has the same colors as yours. I also have a pic of the same Flabellina - but just called it Flabellina sp., so not much help there. I'll go in search of more help for you...

Hola Amigo,

I have over 650 dives in the SC area, and unfortunately all my books are in my home down there. I can help with the common names of quite a few of your species. 1=speckled flatworm (they come in all colors but the one you have is the predominant color in SC). 2=Mexican Barnacle Blenny. 3=Coral Hawkfish or Falco Hawkfish (I could be sure if I had my Humann book with me), 4 and 5 are Blue Telja, 6-7 (anemonies that I need the book for),8 (need book), 9 is a deer cowrie, 10 is a Cortez damselfish.

Woohoo! Much appreciated

I finally identified #1 as [h=2]Pseudoceros bajae[/h]

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom