Sea of cortez..advice plz?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aboalreem

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Planning to do Sea of Cortez,,,any advice of where to stay and which dive shop should I use and accomodation...or liveaboard... also what dive sites not to miss

It's a big sea, and the Baja California peninsula is as long as Italy, with many options. (There are several folks who would post, "Just search this forum! It's been discussed millions of times!") But I'll go a step further:

From Manta and Underwater Diversions in Cabo San Lucas at the southernmost tip, through those two shops and Cabo Pulmo Divers at the cape of the same name, through Cortez Explorers at Mulege, through Loreto, through Cantamar (hotel / liveaboard) at La Paz, and all the way to Gary's Dive Shop in San Carlos, you have many options.

What time of year are you going? That opens up yet another list of options.

October

Great time to go, the water is warm, a 3 mil suit will work OK.
WaterWayne has given some pretty good info, here is My Cabo Trip Report

Cabo Pulmo has awesome diving with a little bit of current and the water should still be warm.

A group of 6 of us 4divers/1snorkler and 1 suntaner. are leaving houston Aug 15th and staying at Tesoro los cabos.
I think we have decided to dive with Manta.

Any advice from boardmembers would be appreciated.

Cabo Pulmo will be one dive we won't miss. Does it really take 2hrs to drive up from Los Cabos?

The water will only warm up from now until October, at least down south. You're talking about 1000 miles N-S when you say Sea of Cortez.

NDH:
A group of 6 of us 4divers/1snorkler and 1 suntaner. are leaving houston Aug 15th and staying at Tesoro los cabos.
I think we have decided to dive with Manta.

Any advice from boardmembers would be appreciated.

Cabo Pulmo will be one dive we won't miss. Does it really take 2hrs to drive up from Los Cabos?

Maybe 1.5 hrs from San Jose Del Cabo. The first 3/4 of the way is paved undivided highway (though twisty and turny in places). The last few km's are dirt roads of variable conditions; best negotiated at < 20 km/h (unless you have a great suspension on your rental car, or kidneys of steel). Bring cash. No credit card machines. I like Cabo Pulmo Divers (I think), it's the outfitter closest to the beach. Just go past C P Resort (green 2-story bldg). When you see the beach parking lot, there's a low one story building with a dive sign. That's Cabo Pulmo Divers. Cabo Pulmo Resort (green 2-story bldg) also has a dive outfitter.

For food in Cabo town:

Best Huachinango Entero (whole fried snapper) at Fish House; upstairs at the ballerina sculpture.

Best sushi at Solomon's Landing, unless the sushi chef moved.

Best pastries W of the Pecos, W of the Mississippi, S of the Mason-Dixon, etc. from Chef Pablo at Sea Queen, corner of Marina & Ave Cabo San Lucas.

Enjoy!

p.s. edit added: You might consider working with one of the shops in town, esp. w/ 6 of you, to take all of you up in a van from town. Land's End Divers, for example, uses CPD to do the dive guiding, but provide you their own rentals, tanks, drivers, & lunch. Manta may well do the same thing for you.

Thanks hdtran
We have decided to let Manta make the arrangement but I don't know who they use. I will have to check. If you ever need to know about Roatan, Honduras let me know. Not an expert like some about Roatan but have been there several times.
Thanks

going to San Carlos next weekend with Desert Divers out of Tucson, will file a report when I come back.

Back
Top Bottom