Sea Lice question!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Ok so I def. think I have sea lice on my elbow/forearm. I am treating it with this sting relief gel.

I am wondering though....I've been researching about it and it says that the sea lice tend to go inside of your bathing suit...and i was wondering....

could that affect your genitalia areas? im worried it will spread down there...could that happen?

Sea lice season runs from Mother's Day through Father's Day. You might need to change party venues down there in Gomorrah.

yes, it WILL effect your "nether "regions... and usually does. but not as you describe.
"sea lice" are a larval form of jellyfish that sting (or react) to being exposed to air or fresh water (mostly). you tend to get the stings on/in places where clothing/gear is touching your body (waist, shorts,shirt,bcd ,etc) because they get trapped there. they WILL NOT spread to other parts of your body, that is a completley different type of rash (if your know what i mean!)

My "sea lice" experience was in March at Long Key State Park. The jellyfish larvae will become plentiful in the water after an ocean storm from reef action and are filtered out by long hair and loose clothing. Two days after swimming, I used my air-dried suit for a hot tub and soon experienced significant discomfort. The larvea will sting from pressure (sitting on them) and exposure to clean water, especially both at the same time, resulting in what is also called bather's eruption. It is recommended to rinse your swimming apparel in clean water and use a clothes drier after swimming when sea lice are expected. My case took 2-3 weeks and was sucessfully treated with hydrocortisone ointment, limes and Coronas. Apply as directed. For more info;
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/health/content/health/guides/sealice.html

Back
Top Bottom