Sea Elite Scuba Gear

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Schulte

New
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
I am new to diving and was considering buying my own gear. I saw that Diver's Supply has a line of Sea Elite gear at a really low price. Has anyone used any of this gear? Is it worth buying or am I ahead to save my money and just wait?

IMHO, save your money and buy high end gear when you can afford it. Don't buy anything that you haven't dove already, so that you are happy with your final purchase.

IMHO, save your money and buy high end gear when you can afford it. Don't buy anything that you haven't dove already, so that you are happy with your final purchase.

I was about to a buy a package from them with Sea Elite Gear in it. I was disappointed that only Divers-Supply was certified to service it.

Their gear isn't exactly a "new" design. It works ok, but it's not worth using except maybe as cheap rental gear.

I will agree that SE gear is not top of the line and since it's a house brand, getting it serviced is going to be difficult unless you happen to be near their store. However, buying top of the line of any brand is a waste of money. Any mid range first stage will perform better than the most demanding diver needs when paired with a quality mid to upper range second stage. Top of the line seconds are also a waste as most of the "features" are more expensive gadets than useful. Get yourself a well known brand mid range first and pair it with an upper end mid range second stage to get the best value. Avoid fancy features, "special" metals and needless bling to get the best value.

Sea Elite is Divers Supply's house brand, so you will not find it anywhere but at Diver's Supply. Sea Elite gear is *NOT* poor quality. I have used their wetsuits and some other items for years. However, the only shop that would service this gear is Diver's Supply, so you are locked to them for both parts and service. I would not purchase their regulators for this reason.You could try to piece together a service kit using generic parts but why bother when other regulators do not have this issue. BCs are more standardized so the inflater and dump valves can probably be replaced with generic items.

Sea Elite is Divers Supply's house brand, so you will not find it anywhere but at Diver's Supply. Sea Elite gear is *NOT* poor quality. I have used their wetsuits and some other items for years. However, the only shop that would service this gear is Diver's Supply, so you are locked to them for both parts and service. I would not purchase their regulators for this reason.You could try to piece together a service kit using generic parts but why bother when other regulators do not have this issue. BCs are more standardized so the inflater and dump valves can probably be replaced with generic items.

The low end sea elite regs and bc's are trash.
As far as service kits, they are apex, just like dive rite and HOG. FYI

The low end sea elite regs and bc's are trash.
As far as service kits, they are apex, just like dive rite and HOG. FYI

The low-end Sea Elite regulator for $99.00 is the RX330 which is an unbalanced PISTON regulator. Apeks (not Apex), Dive Rite, and HOG are DIAPHRAGM regulators so it is highly unlikely that the service kits would fit. Now the higher-end RX650 for $199.00 looks similar to the HOG and Dive Rite and is probably made by the same OEM, which would make me think it would breath about the same as the HOG or Dive Rite. Especially being you said they take the same service kits.

I have not seen their recent lines but in the past their quality was similar or better to other brands at the same price point. If I was the OP I would spend the extra $20 over the price of the RX650 and buy the HOG/EDGE combo over the Sea Elite. It would give him more servicing options and the ability to purchase parts.

Scuba gear, especially regulators, the real cost is not the initial purchase cost, but the on going maintainance cost because you can own them for a long time.

I am not familiar with the sea elite brand. Make sure you can easier have them service, at least easy access to parts. Otherwise, it is as good as paper weight after a couple of years.

Scuba gear, especially regulators, the real cost is not the initial purchase cost, but the on going maintainance cost because you can own them for a long time.

I am not familiar with the sea elite brand. Make sure you can easier have them service, at least easy access to parts. Otherwise, it is as good as paper weight after a couple of years.

You won't be unless you go to Divers Supply. At $99 it is not worth getting it serviced. Dive it for a couple of years and then fleebay it and buy new. I am pretty sure that Sea Elite comes from ODS in Taiwan. It is the same OEM that Dive Rite, Hog, OMS, Oxycheq and others use or have used.

Reactions: mdb
https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom