Sea Drops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

WVDiver

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Ever buy a $4 bottle of Sea Drops use it once or twice lose it and go buy another. It's a vicious circle isn't it.

While diving in the Florida Keys I came across a cheaper method that works just as good and costs almost nothing.

Go to Wal-Mart in the travel section where they sale small travel things like tooth paste, asprin, shampoo, shave cream and the like and pick up one of those small 50 cent bottles with the pump spray tops and lid.

Then grab a large bottle of Johnson's Baby Shampoo for a buck at the dollar store and you have a supply of sea drops that will last for months or years.

Mix it to suit yourself. I put about 1/3 shampoo in the bottle and then fill the bottle with water. Shake well before use.

Pros:

Everytime you use it you clean your mask.
If it gets in your eyes it doesn't sting.
It is very cheap.
Use it to clean other equipment.

Cons:

If your mask lense isn't nice and clean it won't work very well until you use it enough that your mask gets clean. In this case mix it a little heavier with the shampoo. Also you may take some mild toothpaste (without a gritty texture) and clean you mask lense well to get off the factory film. This usually takes several scrubbings. If you're an old salt and have had your mask a long time you probably won't have a problem.

Make bubbles

I always keep my SeaGold and SwimEar stuff in my mask box. When the mask comes out, the sunglasses go in and vice versa.

I just put the shampoo in empty eye drop bottles (Visine and similar). I got a hand full for free on my last eye exam. They had a bunch of sample bottles that were almost out of date. I use it full strength. Put a drop on each lens, smear it around, let it dry (the longer the better) and a quick rinse before use

herman:
I just put the shampoo in empty eye drop bottles (Visine and similar). I got a hand full for free on my last eye exam. They had a bunch of sample bottles that were almost out of date. I use it full strength. Put a drop on each lens, smear it around, let it dry (the longer the better) and a quick rinse before use

Cool idea, I'll have to try it. How did you get the shampoo inside and visine bottle?

I bought a bottle of Sea Drops about 3 years ago and still have the same bottle...under the bathroom sink. I always forget the damn thing, however, I never fogot to bring my spit. No complaints with spit yet, so I may never get around to adding the drops to my kit. This way I'll never have to go looking for them.

Roland

hermosadive:
I bought a bottle of Sea Drops about 3 years ago and still have the same bottle...under the bathroom sink. I always forget the damn thing, however, I never fogot to bring my spit. No complaints with spit yet, so I may never get around to adding the drops to my kit. This way I'll never have to go looking for them.

Roland
Apparently my spit isn't good I could never get it to work for any period of time. They say the memory is the first thing to go. HA HA

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom