sea-doo snorkel set from costco?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

the_explorer

Registered
Reaction score
I just bought a set of Sea-doo snorkeling set from Costco. The mask has tempered glass so I thought it'd be a decent set suitable for diving. However, one dive shop told me explicitly that snorkeling gear from Walmart and Costco are not suitable for scuba diving, and yet I've browsed other forums where people have used these sets to go diving. Should I shell out another $100 for "proper" scuba gear, whatever that means?

Now you've come across the biggest myth in diving, "Your gear isn't good enough". It's a common approach by dive shops to get you to step up to the plate to spend 4 or 5 hundred bucks for their stuff instead of 40 bucks for the Wal-mart and Costco stuff. Now, the LDS has a point also. The quality of the packaged snorkling sets isn't very good, and your experience would certainly be enhanced by having quality gear, much like the difference between dirt bike riding on a Honda built for the job or one of those fat wheeled scooters powered by a briggs and stratton we all had as kids. Additionally, some LDS's require that you buy basic gear from them before taking a class. That way the instrustor can get to the business of teaching you to dive instead of figuring out how the buckles and snaps work.

Here is my suggestion. Try your Costco set for one lesson. Ask the dive shop to use a rental mask for another pool session. I think you will find that the mask from the dive shop fits better, is more comfortable, easier to clear, and easier to defog than the mask from Costco. YMMV, of course. One other solution is to look for used gear here and elsewhere. Lots of folks get out of diving and they have good quality gear to sell.

I agree with Wookie... it's not necessarily that it's not suitable for diving. But the LDS would rather you buy from them. Scuba specific masks are usually more comfortable (softer silicone).

Mask should fit correctly. Snorkel doesn't matter too much. Fins will probably uncomfortable and a bit slow. Short answer is everything will work, but it may not be the most comfortable (mask & snorkle) or fast (fins).

You can also try the masks available at the shop.. you will have your answer then and there.

Back
Top Bottom