Sea and Sea MX10

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JamesK

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
I was recently given a Sea &Sea MX10 from a buddy of mine. The thing is, one of the seals went bad, and water got inside. He siad it needed to be rebuilt. Is it worth it to rebuild it, and has anyone had it done? If so, what is the average cost?

James, there is no way to tell how badly the camera was damaged until a tech looks at it. Check with S&S to find an authorized repair facility near you: (760) 929-1909. Or you can send it to them for diagnosis.

Here in Atlanta we use Southeast Camera repair (770) 935-9771. At one point we had one of our MMIIs almost totally rebuilt. It cost about $250 which SOUNDS like a alot until you realize that is about 1/2 what it would cost us to get a new one.

Hope this helps,

~SubMariner~

Submariner is right. There are so many variables with a flooded camera, there's no way to know until a camera tech checks it out.

Another authorized S&S repair facility is Sub Aquatic Camera Repair in California... 831/484-6230 They've done several yearly inspections and repairs for me.

The sooner you get it to a tech the better.

If nothing else it can be a cool paperweight.
:rolleyes:

michael

James,

There is a Sea and Sea repair center in Ga that I have used before. Here is their address and phone number

Southeast Camera Repair
3435 Breckinridge Blvd.
Suite 110
Duluth, G.A., 30071
(770)935-9771

By the way, if it turns out to not be worth fixing and the case is still good and it's one of the newer ones with the screw mount in the bottom, I may be interested in buying it. I have an older model that I would like to upgrade the case on.

James,

This actually happened to me and my MX-10.

The first thing the tech told me was that if it was flooded with sea water to rinse the entire camera with warm fresh water and dry it with a hairdryer set on low so as not to cause any heat damage, and take it in as soon as possible.

My camera had to be completely rebuilt, so the price was only about $125.00 less than what a brand new camera would cost me. So if the repair price is too high, you my want to consider getting a brand new one.

Hope this helps.

Thanks folks. I will give Southeast Camera Repair a call.

Originally posted by Dee
Submariner is right. There are so many variables with a flooded camera, there's no way to know until a camera tech checks it out.

Another authorized S&S repair facility is Sub Aquatic Camera Repair in California... 831/484-6230 They've done several yearly inspections and repairs for me.

These are the guys that helped me out. When there was a possibility that repair would not be done in time for the camera to be returned to me, they offered me a loaner --- free of charge!

Thanks. Maybe I should contact both companies.

Back
Top Bottom