sea and sea mx10 or sealife reefmaster pro set

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

aquasport

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Does anyone have any info on either one of these? Its my first camara im not sure which one to get. LP has a good price on both,Thanks.

The Sea & Sea MX10 is far better than the Seamaster. Why? The MX10 has changeable aperture settings, the Seamaster doesn't. Both have a variety of macro lenses but the MX10 has a much better wide angle lens, a 20mm lens vs 24 on the Seamaster. I wouldn't think of buying either camera without the wide angle lens and external strobe.

The mx10 is a 24x36 camera while the Reefmaster is a digital one.

You may compare also (like I am doing now) the Reefmaster DC310 with the Sea & Sea Aquapix DX3100...

The DC310 is made of a basic digital camera and a didicated housing : the camera is not waterproof.

The Aquapix is a waterproof camera : there is no housing...

I still try to get more information on the new Aquapix (have a look to www.seaandsea.co.jp : there is an english Aquapix Userguide).

François

The Reefmaster Pro is a film camera set. This is the big, yellow rubbery housing.

The set does not come with the wide angle lens. You would be limited to print film with this camera because you can't change the aperture. On the MX10 you can shoot film or slides. Your results with the MX10 will be much better.

I started with a reefmaster w/double strobe and macro lenses and loved it. They weren't making the WAL at the time, so I can't speak to that.

It is true that the reefmaster is just a point and shoot, but that was one reason I chose that one. It was my first camera, and I didn't want to have a lot of choices. I have since upgraded to an Oly 4040 and PT-10 digital set up. This is a great set, but there are times I miss my simple point and shoot.

Reefmaster also has a couple of digitals out, but I would look more at a good land digital with housing if you want to go digital.

I have never used slide film with my Reefmaster, but I have seen some GREAT results from others that have.

Do consider a digital system as well. Given the great performance of typical digital cameras with ambient light and/or built-in flash, as well as the wide focal range of their lenses, it might be a viable alternative. For about what you'd spend on these other systems, you could get a good digicam and housing, and add a strobe later. Lots of folks on this board can give you some great advice along those lines.

Of the MX-10 and Reefmaster, the MX-10 is much better, as other posters have explained very well. However, the MX-10, like other systems, suffers from having a strobe too close to the lens, which causes backscatter.

I'd gather as much information as possible, take your time, and make a very informed decision.

My husband and I had to make the same choice last year- we chose the MX-10 and have been very happy with it. On our first trip out with it we got some excellent pictures and we both really like that you can change lenses in mid-dive- also if you upgrade in the future the lenses work with the aquapix. What really made our minds up against the sealife camera is when you open up this very nice housing the camera inside looks and feels like a very cheaply made giveaway camera. Not sure if it makes a difference, but we have been very happy with our MX-10.
-Jacque

Back
Top Bottom