Sea and Sea dx1g

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

deeper thoughts

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Does anybody have info,reviews or experience with this camera?

Thnx..

Any current users of the DX-1G want to give a review. Also would you suggest this camera or prefer you had purchased something else.

Any current users of the DX-1G want to give a review. Also would you suggest this camera or prefer you had purchased something else.

I purchased one and received it a couple of weeks ago. I took it up to Vortex springs for a few check out dives to get use to the controls. I did not use strobes as I wanted to get use to the manual controls.

It is very nice. It is a compact camera that provides control of the both the aperture and the shutter speed. I had been disappointed on night dives previously for blurry critters (a previous compact digital), and this is definitely the solution.

The images looked good, and I was able to pick up how to operate the camera in a short time.

I have not yet used the manual white balance, but it is on my list. The short focusing macro mode is an improvement over previous models.

The wide angle lens is a definite must have accessory as it makes dive buddy photos in lower vis much easier to take.

The controls were relatively intuitive having come from the DX750, and the Nikon D100.

I did have a glitch that stopped my shooting short, that I have not been able to repeat. It also stumps the Sea & Sea techs. 4 shots after switching to shooting in raw mode, while half depressing the shutter button, the camera locked up freezing the display. I was unable to change anything on the camera for the rest of the dive. The camera did not respond to any controls once out of the housing. The camera started functioning normally once the battery had been removed and replaced. Sea & Sea has offered to inspect the camera, but I decided to wait to send it back to see if I could repeat the glitch. I was using a Kingston 2Gb card in the camera at the time.

I look forward to using this camera on my next vacation as for air travel it will lighten my load considerably.

Keith

A strobe would help tremendously.....also, if you do use a strobe or rely on the flash, set WB to auto as the flash will give enough light (if flash is strong enough for your picture) to show proper whites....

I believe the G9 is of course a decent option and may even be a tad sharper? But I am very very happy with the DX-1G. MOST importantly, the camera is so compact (unlike the brick that is the G9) that I carry it with me ALL the time. I carry it topside in a generic neoprene case. The controls are also much easier to use than the G9 (which may have more fancy functions). See the other post of my DX-1g in Sipadan for some samples. This camera in its Ricoh form (GX100) has won many awards and camera of the year for 2007 in many photo publications. Great for street photography too because of its fantastic WA lens which is not available on any other camera standard.

Keep in mind though that there are some stunning examples taken using the G9 out there...Edvine Ng's shots are really incredible.....

I can't wait for my trip to the Caribbean.....gin clear waters will make shooting a joy!

Does anyone know if the lenses from the Sea & Sea MX II EX (film) work on the new Sea & Sea digitals? I was jsut wondereing since I have several lenses but I don't use the camera anymore.

Does anyone know if the lenses from the Sea & Sea MX II EX (film) work on the new Sea & Sea digitals? I was jsut wondereing since I have several lenses but I don't use the camera anymore.

I don't think any of the MXII lenses would fix the DX housings. the only additional lens Sea & Sea shows for the DX modles is the wide angle lens.

I don't think any of the MXII lenses would fix the DX housings. the only additional lens Sea & Sea shows for the DX modles is the wide angle lens.

I don't think it would need any of the others as the zoom function works in macro mode, and it focuses down to a few inches. I was impressed.

Keith

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom