SE Asia Trip Mid May-Late June 2025

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello, my gf and I will be going to SE Asia for 6 weeks from the middle of May to the end of June. Places we will visit include Philippines, Indonesia, Malaysia and Thailand. We are OW certified, working on AOW certification soon, but by no means are we intermediate level yet. I've read a good amount of dives in SE Asia have decent current and intermediate level is typically recommended. We live in Miami so the plan is to take a few dive trips in the Caribbean before next summer to increase our skills and comfort diving in current as well as several trips within driving distance from Miami. Any recommendations for dive trips in Dec/Jan and March around the Caribbean to help us get comfortable with more intermediate diving situations that we will likely encounter in SE Asia?
Also where do you recommend we dive in SE Asia while we are there? Not really looking for long liveaboard trips as we have limited time and also want to explore on land as well, but a 3-4 day trip in the Philippines and Indonesia would be great. Below is our rough itinerary for our trip.
May 19: 10 nights in Philippines - thinking 4 nights in Cebu and then a 4 day catamaran trip from Coron. (Where should we dive from the catamaran?)
May 30: 11 nights in Indonesia - thinking 6 nights in Bali and potentially 4/5 in Komodo or Raja Ampat. Open to suggestions on where to dive in June, research shows that maybe its not ideal timing for Raja Ampat.
June 8: Malaysia 3 nights - any must do dives here during this time of year?
June 11: 5 nights Phuket - any must do dives here during this time of year?

Thanks for the help!

Hi there! Sounds like an amazing trip you've got planned! I can definitely give you some recommendations for both the Caribbean and Southeast Asia.

Caribbean Dive Trips for Intermediate Skill Development:​

Since you’re looking to build confidence diving in currents before your SE Asia trip, here are a few spots in the Caribbean that offer great experiences for divers who are progressing to intermediate levels:

1. Cozumel, Mexico (December/January or March):Cozumel is renowned for its drift diving, with moderate to strong currents, which will definitely help you get more comfortable with current management. The marine life is incredible, and you'll have plenty of opportunities to practice buoyancy control while being swept along by the currents, here I can recommend to dive with Cozumel Divers.
  2. Bonaire (December/January):Known as a "diver’s paradise," Bonaire offers more relaxed dives, but there are spots with light currents where you can practice. It’s also perfect for working on navigation and buoyancy control because of the shore diving opportunities. You can focus on improving your skills without worrying about boat schedules.
  3. Turks and Caicos (March):Turks and Caicos has some fantastic wall diving and a few sites with moderate currents. Grace Bay and French Cay offer a mix of calm and more challenging conditions. The visibility is usually amazing, so you can work on managing depth and currents with ease.

SE Asia Dive Recommendations:​

Philippines:​

For the Philippines, Cebu and Coron are great choices! Here are my suggestions:

• Cebu (Malapascua): If you’re staying in Cebu, I’d recommend a trip to Malapascua for thresher sharks, which is great for advanced divers, but manageable for newer AOW divers. If you’re comfortable with early morning dives, this is a must-do! I also will be diving there in a few weeks to see the thresher shark.
  • Coron: For the catamaran trip, if you’re heading to Coron, the wreck dives there are world-class. While some wrecks are deeper, there are shallow wrecks like Skeleton Wreck that are accessible for newer divers. Barracuda Lake is also a fun dive with interesting thermoclines. Just be mindful of the currents around some of the wrecks, especially if you’re still getting used to diving in currents.

Indonesia:​

Indonesia offers some of the best diving in the world, but currents can be strong in certain areas, so here’s what I suggest:

• Bali: Stay in Tulamben for the Liberty Wreck, which is a perfect beginner to intermediate dive. Amed is also nearby and offers some lovely dives with mild currents. In Nusa Penida, you can dive with mantas, but currents can be strong, so make sure you’re comfortable before trying this spot.
  • Komodo: Komodo is incredible, but it can be challenging with its currents. If you decide to go, go with a reputable dive operator who can manage conditions and make it accessible for your experience level. There are some more relaxed dives, but sites like Batu Bolong may be a bit too intense depending on your comfort level.
  • Raja Ampat: In June, you might be missing the best season for Raja Ampat, but there are still dive sites open year-round. That said, if currents are your concern, I’d recommend sticking to Bali and Komodo.

Malaysia:​

Since you have only 3 nights in Malaysia, I’d suggest focusing on the Perhentian Islands or Sipadan if you can make the trip. Sipadan is consistently rated as one of the best dive sites in the world, and while the currents can be moderate to strong, the marine life (sharks, turtles, schools of fish) will be worth it! You’ll need permits to dive here, so book in advance if possible.

Thailand (Phuket):​

In June, Phuket is a good spot for diving. Check out the Racha Islands for easier dives with some beautiful marine life, and for a bit more challenge, the King Cruiser Wreck. If you want to experience some more advanced sites, consider day trips to the Similan Islands or Koh Phi Phi – both have great diversity and marine life but can have strong currents at times.

Sounds like a great trip.Personally I would drop Thailand and Malaysia, or you will spend half your trip in airports. With your level of dive experience it’s much better to spend more time in destinations and not just do a days diving here and there. The diving will completely blow you away, it is amazing !

Similan is off limited from June onward for the next several months.
Phuket is NEVER good spot for the daily diving trip, waste of time and money.
The East coast of Peninsular Malaysia is fine but very ordinary. Sipaden is a bit out of the way.
Just concentrate on Indonesia and Philippines with only 6 wks to spend.
Starts at Philippines because of flights availability. PAL has direct non stop flight from either LAX or SFA. United probably has similar schedule.

Scuba Junkie in Komodo is highly recommended.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom