Sdi?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

pro99line

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hello. Before anyone gets upset I entered SDI in the search but it did not come up with any results. I am wanting to start my lessons and have two options here where I live. I have a sho that teaches PADI and one that teaches SDI. I have never heard of SDI and was wondering about it. I am trying to decide on which shop to choose. I will give you the breakdown of what I was told from each and tell me what you think. I am not mentioning any shop names though. I seem to be more comfortable with the information received from shop 2 but I am unsure of the SDI certification and if it is as internationally accepted as PADI. Shop 1 kinda made me feel like they want my money and thats all. My goal is to be at a level equivalent to a Master Scuba diver.

1. Padi certification. I talked to this shop and they do the open water class in 2 weeks. If I want the adavaced class then it will be another 2 weeks. Now when talking to them they seemed a little in a hurry to get you in and out. The guy was talking about how wow when we do the 4th open water dive in the open water class we could combine the boat and navaigation courses that would be needed for the advanced class and then the 3 other required we would try to combine in 1 or 2 other dives. Also I asked about equipment and they are only willing to let me try the mask and fins in the pool before buying but nothing else. He said they would suggest the best equipment for me but it can not be returned once I use it. I am not very happy that I have to trust someones opinion because there likes may not match mine. The open water cert dives will be 3 in the vortex springs and 1 wherever the class determines and depending on weather. Open water 275 + books. Advanced 200 + books.

2. SDI certification. I talked to this shop and they do a Gulf Certified Diver package which consist of 10 dives and it is a total of a 8 week class meeting one time a week or I can work at whatever pace I am confortable. This place seemed very willing to talk on the phone and explain everythign to me. He stated I can try all the equipment in the pool before buying so I can make sure I am happy with it before buying it. Also he stated as long as the equipment has only been used in the pool during the first parts of the class I can trade it for other equipment if I determine that I do not like it. This does not apply once it has been used outside the pool. The cert dives are done from shore and boat preferably the man mentioned but can be however the class wants them. He did mention a few might be in the vortex springs if weather is bad in the Gulf. Gulf Certified Diver Package 799.00 + books.

SDI is the recreational arm of TDI- Technical Diving International. Their website is www.tdisdi.com

It sounds like you are more comfortable with the SDI shop- I would recommend that. Their class sounds like you will get more supervised water time, which will help build experience quickly. Yes the cost is more, but you get more dives and focus on the dives you are doing, rather than combining them with AOW. Their return policy is good since many new divers essentially buy the wrong gear at first.

Good Luck!

The agency doesn't matter.
What counts is the instructor.
Feeling comfortable with him his very important. Was the guy at the SDI shop also the instructor ? If so , It sounds like your allready feeling good about him. Their class also sounds a little more in 'depth' (pardon the pun).
You may also want to check out this thread.
http://www.scubaboard.com/showthread.php?t=153194

Well the guy I talked to is one of 6 instructors. They stated if I am not comfortable with one then I can take the class with another. Each instructor has his own classes so I can change instructors if I like but ofcourse I will have to take classes on their schedule. This company is also a commercial diving group. They also dive for commercial reasons so they are not only instructors. Out of the 6 instructors they also have PADI, NAUI, and SSI instructors too but they said even those instructors prefer the SDI method of training because they have more freedom. Remember guys I am not trying to start a war. I am just trying to pick what is best for me. They said they will train me on whatver cert I want but I will get more for the money from the SDI course.

Forgot. They also said that I do not need any equipment throughout the whole course. I can buy as I want. They do recomeend that you get your own personal things becuase then you will be training with what you will use but that you are only required a towel and shorts. Also they said when new equipment arrives you can test it in the pool when doing your classes. Also they have all the different kinds of BC's so I can find out if I prefere jacket, back, etc. My first lesson is March 3rd and I am taking it as a private lesson so my wife can come watch and see if she is interested. Also that class he said deals with assembly of the equipment, how to put it on in and out of water, and getting your weights correct for the pool dives. I really want to pay attention on these so I am takign them as private. I might take all of them private but do my cert dives with the group because it is too expensive to do private. Also I will learn Nitorx because he said that is very good for our area. What do you guys think?

I feel very comfortable with this group so I have deicded to use them. The only question now is which cert company. They said they can train me with whatver company I want. SDI sounds good considering the flexibility but I still wonder if it will be accepted everywhere?

Also he said I will trained on dive tables, the wheel, and a dive computer.

It sounds as though the SDI shop is being more thorough.

Also, PADI AOW dives cannot be combined. You need 5 dives. That specific shop is cutting corners and cheating you.

Based on your description, the SDI dive center appears more thorough and is willing to spend more time with each student. That is important, you don't ever want to feel rushed or feel like just a number to them. I think you'll feel more confident after taking their class instead of the PADI one that you described, however $799.00 for a course that doesn't even include materials is pretty steep. Good luck with your decision.

I am SDI certified and have had no problems with it being recognized at other dive shops. I also researched which cert to get and found that my local SDI shop took a more gradual approach to all of it's courses. I found this worked well for me as it allowed me to become more comfortable with each new skill before having to learn another. The nitrox course is I think useful for any diver in that it reinforces the physiology of what the body experiences as we dive.
Good luck with whatever cert you decide to get.:)

pparkinson:
I am SDI certified and have had no problems with it being recognized at other dive shops. I also researched which cert to get and found that my local SDI shop took a more gradual approach to all of it's courses. I found this worked well for me as it allowed me to become more comfortable with each new skill before having to learn another. The nitrox course is I think useful for any diver in that it reinforces the physiology of what the body experiences as we dive.
Good luck with whatever cert you decide to get.:)

Thank you. You answered one of the main questions I had. I was wondering if I would have any issues when going to dive in another country but so far you have had good luck so that eases my mind. I was also researching and found that even if I do have a problem the Padi or Naui center in that country can certify me with them if I have my card and log book showing what I have done. The SDI shop spent over 1 hour on the phone with me today so I feel very goo about them and they have been here in my city for since I was little and I am now 26 so they have been in business awhile. They are actually the only dive shop that has stayed open for more than 5 years in this area that I can remember. Thanks everyone and if any other SDI divers have information please share. I did my discovery dive in Hawaii when we was on vacation and was hooked. I am actually starting back in school June to do my PHD in Marine Science so diving will be a plus for me anyway. Atleast that is how I convinced my wife to allow me to spend the money.

I would agree with the others that the SDI shop sounds better than the other one. My PADI course was flexible and not rushed at all, that sounds like the shop rather than PADI.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom