SDI Road to Rescue Diver

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

StuartScuba, they have a different instructor for each specialty. Luckily this isn't PADI where they just increase everything by 25% in price, so I'm probably looking at something like $800-850 for 3 specialties (still expensive and I do expect to space them out). I was leaning towards doing Buoyancy, Deep Diver, and then either Wreck or Night based on whichever appeals more. I'd thought about drysuit or FFM, but the shop offers neither of these and I figured it would be something to think over as I get more dives done and decide if I can take the FL winter water or not.
Don't forget Nitrox.

Careful of what you say.....bashing is not nice, especially if you are basing it on hearsay.
Fair. Didn't mean to word it like that, my b.

Fair. I weighed out the two and the price difference made it an easy decision when I certed. I'm sure PADI is fine.
You'll find the course materials are different between PADI and SDI, and that many of the PADI specialties actually have more dives required than do the SDI equivalents.
This accounts for a large part of the cost differences.
For example, PADI vs SDI, # of dives:
DEEP 4 vs 2
NAV 3 vs 2
WRECK 4 vs 3 (4 is optional)
NIGHT 3 vs 2
FFM pool+2 vs 2

You'll find the course materials are different between PADI and SDI, and that many of the PADI specialties actually have more dives required than do the SDI equivalents.
This accounts for a large part of the cost differences.
For example, PADI vs SDI, # of dives:
DEEP 4 vs 3
NAV 3 vs 2
WRECK 4 vs 3 (4 is optional)
NIGHT 3 vs 2
FFM pool+2 vs 2
Huh, interesting. I know the whole SDI motto is "teach you the basics and you be responsible and practice it further." Reminds me of college sometimes.

Maybe the extra dive would have been useful... My SDI cert instructor spent the entire pool session focused on emergency skills, and didn't spend even a moment explaining equalizing or other soft skills like "hand signals" or "fin kicking techniques." He told us "try to focus on neutral buoyancy" and the group I was in immediately reached for their remotes with 0 hesitation (and the whole "lung thing" didn't get explained until we were on the boat). I picked up these skills two dives after certifying, thankfully (apparently I can no-hands equalize somehow 0_0). It took me goofing the buoyancy royally to realize where I was going wrong. Heh, my buddy made the same exact mistake during the second dive, while I chilled and watched him start to ascend 10 feet.

Also it's pretty cool to speak with a marine scientist. Must be a fun line of work :)

Huh, interesting. I know the whole SDI motto is "teach you the basics and you be responsible and practice it further." Reminds me of college sometimes.

Maybe the extra dive would have been useful... My SDI cert instructor spent the entire pool session focused on emergency skills, and didn't spend even a moment explaining equalizing or other soft skills like "hand signals" or "fin kicking techniques." He told us "try to focus on neutral buoyancy" and the group I was in immediately reached for their remotes with 0 hesitation (and the whole "lung thing" didn't get explained until we were on the boat). I picked up these skills two dives after certifying, thankfully (apparently I can no-hands equalize somehow 0_0). It took me goofing the buoyancy royally to realize where I was going wrong. Heh, my buddy made the same exact mistake during the second dive, while I chilled and watched him start to ascend 10 feet.

Also it's pretty cool to speak with a marine scientist. Must be a fun line of work :)
Both the SDI and the PADI Open Water classes have four dives; this is the minimum requirement of the World Recreational Scuba Training Council (WRSTC) of which both PADI and SDI are members, along with NAUI, RAID, SSI, NASE, and some others.

Both the SDI and the PADI Open Water classes have four dives; this is the minimum requirement of the World Recreational Scuba Training Council (WRSTC) of which both PADI and SDI are members, along with NAUI, RAID, SSI, NASE, and some others.
Ah. I thought PADI was 5.

Ah. I thought PADI was 5.
PADI is "5" in confined water, then 4 in open water. The "5" is a bit vague, since it is not always clear when one stops and the next starts.

PADI is "5" in confined water, then 4 in open water. The "5" is a bit vague, since it is not always clear when one stops and the next starts.
Makes sense. I had two shops by me, SDI 6 miles and a PADI 30 mins away with a 2 month waiting list. My decision was pretty straightforward :3

I'll have to weigh out specialties more. It feels like Buoyancy would be a good call and Deep Diver eventually, I'd imagine my first trip to 100+ feet should be with a professional... haha

Otherwise I may already be close to 25 dives by the time I do a specialty or two, I haven't even found out how the shops do booking for these.

@SubNeo

Don't focus on agency it doesn't matter till you go pro level.

Instead ask around here and meet local divers ask them "who is the best instructor for this" a instructor who will take extra time and teach you more is the best way to go even if they are a little more expensive, have a wait list etc. While waiting dive and pratice on your own.

Back
Top Bottom