SDI Research Diver and SSI Ecology Courses

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tigerpaw

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I'm at the point on this diving journey to start learning more about the ocean habitat. I am interested in the SSI Ecology courses (Coral Reef, Shark, Manta Ray,...etc) and the SDI Research Diver. I noticed that the Research Diver course has modules on sharks, coral, etc. Would both of these courses complement each other OR would just taking only the Research Diver course suffice. Thanks!

I'm going to say this is entirely instructor and location-dependent. I don't teach research diver or Marine-Ecosystems because there isn't much to talk about in NM.

If you were to take those courses from a good instructor (I'd be looking for someone with an education in the area e.g marine biology) in a place where there's lots to see, those courses could be amazing.

If you don't mind going to Florida, Dan Marelli is at the University of South Florida and teaches for SEI.
He's a Ph.D. in Marine Biology. This is the guy you want to take a scientific diving course from.

Just to add to this. He was one of my ice diving instructors and he also teaches Public Safety Diving. No shortcuts with him. Helluva nice guy as well.

Ditto to the comments on how such courses are instructor dependent,,,not agency or course title dependent.
Include Fish ID and Underwater Naturalist in a list of such courses; the bare minimum course is pretty much useless, but one taught by a fish geek or a coral expert is eye-opening and you won't see the ocean the same way afterwards. Such course do not increase your personal diving skill, so are routinely denigrated on ScubaBoard...but that says more about the denigrator than it does about the value of the course.

Ditto to the comments on how such courses are instructor dependent,,,not agency or course title dependent.
Include Fish ID and Underwater Naturalist in a list of such courses; the bare minimum course is pretty much useless, but one taught by a fish geek or a coral expert is eye-opening and you won't see the ocean the same way afterwards. Such course do not increase your personal diving skill, so are routinely denigrated on ScubaBoard...but that says more about the denigrator than it does about the value of the course.
True. That's why I never attempted to teach underwater photography, even though I technically could have. I referred all UW Photo students to actual photographers who weren't scuba instructors, but they made most, if not all, of their living shooting underwater pictures.

You may also want to consider volunteering for an aquarium or marine research group in your area. You might learn more going that route vs. a dive agency course.

You may also want to consider volunteering for an aquarium or marine research group in your area. You might learn more going that route vs. a dive agency course.
That's what I ultimately would like to do. I have less than 10 years until retirement and I'm planning on working/volunteering at an aquarium/research/ocean ecology during those golden years to stay busy and active.

That's what I ultimately would like to do. I have less than 10 years until retirement and I'm planning on working/volunteering at an aquarium/research/ocean ecology during those golden years to stay busy and active.

Better water quality than Possum Kingdom, Scuba Ranch, or Wheeler Branch Res.

If you are looking for the SSI Ecology classes, look at Ocean First in Boulder Colorado. They have a marine biologist there who not only teaches the classes, but helped write some of them.

I would hold off a bit on the SSI Shark Ecology class, they are getting ready to release a new version. The Nudibranch Ecology class is excellent.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom