SDI and PADI AOW

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Miller

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
I'm SDI certified. The DM I'm thinking about getting my AOW with is PADI. How does all this tie together? Outside of the training, why do I need to do this?

You don't NEED to do this, but it is an option. Generally, PADI standards require the appropriate prerequisite PADI courses or an equivalent. PADI accepts training with other agencies as an equvalency (as do many agencies). You could do your BOW with SDI, your AOW with PADI, and instructor training with NAUI if you so choose.

Unless I am seriously mistaken, SDI does not teach dive planning using tables. PADI does in its open water class. Your PADI AOW instructor should review dive planning dives using the PADI Recreational Dive Planner (tables), or PADI's The Wheel (multi-level planning tool).

If you are not familiar with using dive tables, your instructor may recommend that you sit in on an academic presentation with an open water class.

Actually, I don't think there will be much of a conflict at all. While reviewing and understanding the dive tables is a very good idea, it shouldn't keep you from going forward with the AOW class.

I'm originally PADI certified, and have my AOW through PADI, but have come to think that SDI has one of the better advanced diver programs. To quote the SDI Advanced Diver Development Program:
  • "The SDI Advnaced Diver Development Program was created to make truly "Advanced Divers". Under the old way of training a student could take and Andvacned Course right after an Open Water course and have a total of nin (9) dive sall under the direct training of an instructor. The SDI Advanced Diver Development program requires a new OW student to take and complete four (4) SDI specialties or equivalent, along with having a total of twenty-five (25) logged dives. SDI feels a diver will truly be "Advanced" after this is accomplished."
Back in early to mid summer 2000, we had a discussion on what is an Advanced diver. At that time, I had just completed my AOW training, but had told the shop to hang onto my card since I didn't agree that I was truly and advanced diver (at the end of the class, I had just 14 dives total). So much improvement in skills and increase in confidence occurs over the first 25 dives that I strongly agree with SDI's standard of that many dives before conveying the "title" of Advanced Diver. Plus when you are finished, you have 4 additional certs that will help you in the long run.

After reading all of this, here is what I would do.....interview the instructor and ask him/her what will be taught and how indepth will it be taught. Make sure it's to your satisfaction. If the PADI class is still your desire, also ask what it would take to be certified in one of the "Adventure" classifications (such as night, navigation, drysuit, etc).

Also, be sure to report back on your progress. Hearing how the other diver's progress is something we all enjoy.

--Dive Often and Dive Safely!!!

I started with PADI. But medical problems stop me, before I could finish. When I went back to the LDS. They had change to SDI. I still have the PADI dive tables and a understanding of them. SDI teaches dive tables as a specialty. Somebody told me the PADI dive table is different then SDI
The instructor I'm thinking about for my AOW. Has already show me a great deal. I have made six dives with him, two of them night dives. He always goes over things I'm doing right and wrong. But I will still talk to him about how in-depth the training will be. I already know what the classes will be (night, deep, wreck, navigation, and peek performance buoyancy). What Im not sure of is how many dives.

Will report on progress. As of now only 10 dives and still no dive buddy.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom