SD600 and WP-DC4, Which Strobe?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

El Tiburon

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I've got a Canon SD600 with the Canon WP-DC4 underwater housing. I would like to get a strobe for it but with so many choices I need help. Any suggestions?

Mark, thanks for the info. I checked out the web site and it looks like I'll be going with Inon. I'm not a photographer , I'm a diver with a camera, and I would like to start taking better pictures than I have in the passed. Do you have any suggestions for a novice photographer that wants a little improvememnt in his shots? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks, Coqui Diver.

Coqui -

I use the Inons and love them.

To help you get started have a look through the Pink Link in my signature as it has a collection of tips to help start improving your time underwater with a camera!

Just note that the SD series are fabulous little point and shoots, but they do not allow any manual control of your shutter or aperture. So you're going to have to do a little experimenting to find which mode on the SD works best for you and for the dives you are doing.

I would suggest macro mode and get close :wink:

With the instant feedback of digital progress can be fast. So concentrate on the basics – get close, shoot up, adjust the lighting angle etc. but be sure to play around and have fun too. Sometimes it is the weird experiment that yields the great shot.

Practice and master one type of shot. If you regular dive area is better for macro, start there and master those techniques. Then increase magnification by stacking another lens and try imaging an even smaller subject. Achieving focus will be difficult! But the nice shots you can get will be that more satisfying.
Of course, if you prefer, and conditions are good for wide angle, work on those techniques – close focus wide angle, reefscapes etc.
Although we would love to sell you a bunch of different lenses to carry along on a dive, for learning and practical purposes it is probably best to concentrate mastering just one at a time. Now, if you are shooting macro AND you have a premonition that the whale shark will visit that day, by all means take along a wide lens.:)

Others can give more suggestions, or perhaps point you to some threads on this topic.

-Mark Rupert
Inon America, Inc.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom