SD card problems

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a GoPro 8. No issues. Now have the GoPro 10. No issues. I go to a local computer store and purchase a -larger than I need card faster than I need card. Your GoPro should be happy. Perhaps purchase two and swap them out.

No experience with newer GoPros but with several cameras over the years (DSLR's, Paralenz, older GoPro's etc) and different brands of cards I've found card problems arise when I use a computer to format the cards. Now I always format within the camera in question and format often... I've got cards with years of use now.

As a backup system on trips I use WD's "My Passport Wireless SSD". Pop the card in and it's automatically copied to the drive. You can then access the files from any phone/laptop via the integrated WIFI.
With this WD’s “My passport wireless SSD,” do you need to have along a computer to make that work? Where does the power come from?

Test every new SD card with H2testw, it is a great tool for detecting fake cards, memory errors and poor performance.

Find it here

With this WD’s “My passport wireless SSD,” do you need to have along a computer to make that work? Where does the power come from?
No computer needed. It has a rechargeable battery (standard USB source) and onboard wifi network (also works as a rerouter with another internet connected wifi network). As soon as you insert an SD card contents are automatically copied to the internal SSD into a folder date and timed named so no over writing occurs.

Seems though it's been discontinued. Another similar option is this Lacie drive

Wipe off the metal contacts, worked for me last week... u can get cards wet too.

Linux: try Ddrescue - GNU Project - Free Software Foundation (FSF) e.g.
Win: Roadkil.Net - Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier Program Download
or Non-Stop Copy скачать на Windows бесплатно or [DS] Non-Stop Copy
or try this way Copy lots of files ignoring errors

You will have partically broken video, but you will have it.

And small tip: SD cards could be rubbed a hole, when you writing many times at the same place...
If you have big card, writting not so big video, and then deleted it after copy - it writting many times in the same place... but such types of memory has writting times limits...
To prevent it - stay some information on the card or cleaning it just when it filled full.

Try Recuva, it's a file recovery software that can even find files after the drive has been formatted. I saved a lot of SD cards with it, last time my coworker had lost all his pictures of his late wife after he accidently formatted that SD card. I got them all back, that look on his face when I gave it back was priceless!

I don’t use a gopro. I have a couple of SJCams. I can format the cards in the camera and that seemed to solve the glitchy SD cards. another thing I did on my last trip was to have a laptop with me in my room. I would swap out the SD cards during the shore intervals when I swapped the batteries. At the end of the day, I would dump all of the files onto the lap and test that they were intact. I had very few problem with glitchy files, and matching the folders with the correct dive was super easy, because the directories were being labeled every day.

Back
Top Bottom