Scubrapro X650 housing problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I have contacted Scubapro personally and have talked with one of their personnel that process the warranties. In regards to foreign sales the warranty is good as long as you have a receipt. If it is an internet sale based in the U.S. the sale does not include the warranty. This is why LP is a problem child with Scubapro... they are an internet company based in the U.S. That said, if you think it’s a good deal worth the extra shipping go for it! My last word of caution is this, if the reg I bought from Lp is not recognized by SP as one of theirs by the serial numbers on the housing and on the 1st stage then where did these numbers come from. I now this Scubapro did not make my reg!!! I’ve ordered a new x 650 from my local dive shop. I placed my order back in April and the shop still doesn’t have it. Logical deduction leads to the question...why does LP have the regs now??? Again a direct source from Scubapro reveals a huge back order due to unforeseen production problems. Simply put the SP rep at the company told me the reg is not ready to be sold to the public yet. An earlier post warned about internet selling regs that are actually fakes!!! I really believe that LP is in the practice of selling mock SP regs. Why else can they sell a brand new reg for less than ANYONE else? I know this is an old issue, but as far as life support equipment I will never trust them again.

I now this Scubapro did not make my reg!! Should be replaced with I have doubts about who made my reg. I have no evidence other than SP does not recognize the Serial numbers; that is what raised the doubt.

I just picked up a SP mk25/600s from my LDS. I like it a lot!
I was told SP uses LP to dump surplus product on the market. Most of it comes through SP Europe. That way they can get rid of extra product at a discount and keep the US LDS from climbing down their throats for no price protection. My guess is the SN are no good in the US because they track the product by the number. You got the standard, "Ah, thats not our number" from SP USA because is out of SP Europe. Therefore they don't cover it because it's from surplus discounted product. In addition, SP USA will not allow a dealer to ship product, it must be picked up in person or it voids the warranty. I do know that SP will allow a dealer to discount product about 10% under sugested retail. That's what I paid. I don't Know if it's true but it sounded like a great theory. In the end, It's just another example of the Man trying to keep a brother down. :wink:

The problem with the X650 is not a housing problem it is with the lever and diaphram. SP claims that 75 of these second stages were shipped to retailers in the US and even more in Europe. All retailers were asked to immediately return the reg back to SP for new levers and diaphrams, but apparently they did not all go back. I had one of these unknowingly and took it diving. What you notice when using one of the flawed regs is that the lever gets caught on the diaphram when you inhale. You either have to inhale hard to force the lever to slide on the diaphram or assist it by tapping the purge when inhaling. After talking to SP USA and discovering that this is a known problem, I had my SP LDS (I'm overseas) get the parts from SP France (where the new levers and diaphrams are apparently being produced as SP USA was waiting on a shipment from them) and make the changes. Although disappointed by the problem on a new expensive reg, I can say that SP was very professional about everything, admitted to the problem, and quickly resolved it. And having just taken my "updated" X650 on its first dives I can also honestly say that it breathes easier than any of the various Mares and Apeks regs I've dived with in the past.

The story I heard from SP was that the SS levers were not properly finished on the first batch and had burrs on them where they engaged the poppet. The lever would eat away at the softer plastic of the poppet so the poppet would no longer open smoothly or all the way. This happened quick fast - a stage that performed superbly on the first dive would be barely working by the sixth or seventh.

Now they are deburring the levers and everything should be OK.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom