ScubaToys does it yet again!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Dive-aholic

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
Larry did it again! I’ve been on the Board for a few months. I participate in threads and read a lot more. I’ve seen the rave reviews about Larry and ScubaToys. I still had some doubts, though. I mean, how can Larry do this and stay in business? And if he can, why isn’t anyone else doing it? So, before calling Larry, I made some calls to some of the other places suggested by Board members. Mainly I called to get prices on items that stated “Call for price”. Most of the people I called were courteous and professional, but I felt like I was just another customer. One place I called that also claims to meet or beat any price must have been having a bad day. I had to explain the product I was interested in, providing details, and even their own stocking number and was barely able to get their selling price. Wow! I think this guy was in a permanent state of narcosis. Oh, and BTW, I didn’t call LP because I was buying stuff I wanted full manufacturer’s warranties on. Plus, I’ve dealt with them before.

Anyway, onto my experience with Larry. My expectation was that I would make a call, tell him what I wanted to buy, tell him the better prices I found elsewhere – actually only one item, which I didn’t end up getting anyway – and wait for him to double check it. Here the final total minus my ScubaBoard member 10% discount, then try to haggle the price down a little more since I was buying so much.

Well, I’ve got to tell you – there is NO haggling with Larry! None at all! Larry gave me SUCH A GOOD PRICE there was no point in trying to get a better deal!

I spent about ½ an hour on the phone with Larry. Before calling I had put all the items I wanted in a wish list on the store site. I then zapped a copy off to him and he answered some questions I had and fine tuned the order. I had a question about a couple of reg brands and Larry got me interested in the more expensive one (what a salesman!), but then he knocked the price down to less than the other one! Oh, and let’s not forget the free parts for life on all regs bought at ScubaToys and sent there for annuals. (We have family that lives an hour away that we visit every year so we don’t even have to pay shipping.) Subtract the 10% discount, carry the 1, add the 0, taptaptap – how’s this for a total price? Wow!

Then Larry says, “I’ll pick up the shipping.” Even better! Then, “We should have everything in stock, so it’ll be packed and shipped today. You should have it in a couple days.” Darn, my bp doesn’t come in until Monday. Now I’ll have a wing without a bp over the weekend. I should have ordered the bp expedited shipping. :frown:

Anyway, great experience! Larry made me feel like more than just some customer. He’s a great resource. I know how Larry does it and why not everyone can match up to him. He knows how to treat his customers. And he knows how to get the deals so that he can pass them onto his customers. I’ve found my LDS.

Way to go, Larry! I’ll definitely be back for more!

Dive-aholic:
Here the final total minus my ScubaBoard member 10% discount...

Are they still offering that 10% ScubaBoard member discount??

Is that before or after they match the competition's prices? :eyebrow: I've never had the nerve to ask Larry...

Damn... I just ordered a Microprene suit from ScubaToys, and forgot all about that 10% discount...

Oh, and how long have you been working for Larry? Just kidding... they do run a fine operation.

--Marek

Yes, he is still offering it.

His prices didn't end up being more than the competition's prices. He did knock the prices down on some items way over 10%, and I think that was the final price (no additional discount), but one wasn't necessary. The beauty of it was I never had to ask, he just offered. I'm telling you there's no haggling. Larry dropped the prices before I even had a chance to ask.

Larry might fix you up on your next order if you buy something else soon.

I don't work for Larry...yet...we're moving this summer. Just kidding. I do get the feeling that he'd be great to work for though. But at the prices he sells his stuff for, I don't think he could afford me! :wink: Even at DM wages! :D

well shoot...........i forgot to even ask for my 10% on the last order. Figured the free shipping was worth more than the 10 off anyway..

frenchy07:
well shoot...........i forgot to even ask for my 10% on the last order. Figured the free shipping was worth more than the 10 off anyway..
Free shipping?

What free shipping??

Oh, mannnn... they charged me $6.59 shipping for that Microprene suit!

I'm definitely gonna have to negotiate next time...

--Marek

Marek,

Just guessing, but free shipping to Kansas, vs Free shipping to Poland may not be the same. $6.59 for shipping a WS to Poland sounds like a good deal to me...

RJ

rjens:
Marek,

Just guessing, but free shipping to Kansas, vs Free shipping to Poland may not be the same. $6.59 for shipping a WS to Poland sounds like a good deal to me...

RJ
Well, yeah...

...except I'm with the U.S. Embassy here, and have a U.S. mailing address. Mail and packages are then forwarded here by either diplomatic pouch or by DPO (diplomatic post office, like military APO).

:D

Good guess, but you couldn't have known. International shipping would have been a lot more.

I just went back to check Larry's "ScubaToys Christmas Specials" thread. His free shipping offer only applied if someone put ScubaToys' web address in their forum signature.

Which, as much as I like ScubaToys, I haven't done.

--Marek

frenchy07:

I didn't ask either. I just told him I was a member.

Marek K:
...I just went back to check Larry's "ScubaToys Christmas Specials" thread. His free shipping offer only applied if someone put ScubaToys' web address in their forum signature...

Like I said, I didn't even ask. But now that I know this, and since I got such a good deal, I'll have to add it. :D

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom