scubastore

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Rush wrote...
Internet commerce currently accounts for only 1.3% of retail sales, and isn't showing a significant growth trend.
Where did you get that data?

The Magic word is RETAIL. On-line is selling at a discount and the LDS is selling at RETAIL. I beleive the numbers if you put that twist on it.

metridium once bubbled...
Where did you get that data?

Do a search for internet commerce or 1.3% problem on just about any Retail Business website such as Yahoo to find articles concerning this data.

The data comes from census bureau data from this fall. Also, having worked for a company that had a clicks and mortar approach to sales, we kept well aware as to the internet's impact. And yes, the data is for ALL retail. Internet commerce is on the rise, but it seems people want human interaction. But where is the data for scuba internet sales being HUGE versus brick and mortar retail sales ?

Scubaroo once bubbled...
But walking into a shop, being fitted for a suit, and then saying "I'll think about it" before rushing home to order off the web is just wrong.
In my case, my LDS practically begged me to try on a new O'Neill 7000X dry suit, even though I told them repeatedly I couldn't afford to buy it. They went through the whole, "no, no, no... I'm not being a salesman, I just want to show you how they fit/work/feel and I don't have anyone else to help at the moment... come on... let's see if it fits" routine. So I tried it on.. and it fit. Last week I bought one on eBay for $150. It will be here tomorrow if I'm here when the UPS guy comes.

I can't really say I feel bad. I told them I wasn't going to buy one, and they can't really complain about buying used gear.

Rush once bubbled...
But don't think that the LDS's are going to suddenly disappear just because of internet commerce. Internet commerce currently accounts for only 1.3% of retail sales, and isn't showing a significant growth trend. I have purchased from Dive Inn, Leisure Pro, Diver's Supply, Divers Discount, etc., but I also spend a good chunk of money at a couple of my LDS's.
:confused:

I'm not sure where your data comes from but I would love to find out how you came up with them. I know of a couple of dive shops that it has hurt extremely bad, they aren't out of business but they are pushing the limits of staying in. I'm not totally against buying from the net and in some instances I've even suggested buying online even though I work at a dive store, but only on non-life support equipment. The shops that are close to the ocean and good local diving they'll hurt but probably survive. Some of us may not be that lucky.

Gents,

Please don't get me wrong. I have a great relationship with 2 dive shops (one happens to be Leisure Pro). I frequent them often, buy all kinds of stuff and take additional training and refresher courses/practice sessions.

However, when it comes to the high priced items, I cannot afford to pass up a grea price. I tell my LDS this. Leisure Pro has been very cooperative in matching prices (lucky), when they can.

:mean:

Deeperblue/DiveInn has some great prices and excelent service. If you can spend the extra $$$ buy @ your LDS. If you're a starving Student/Dive Instructor like me, buy where is cheap!

Willer

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom