Scubaro repair tech

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DPratt

New
Reaction score
Anyone know how I can quickly get certified as a scuba pro regulator repair tech in the San Diego area?

In a couple of days I believe. That's where they hold classes.

Havent we covered this before? You have to work for a dive shop, then you can go to a repair seminar where you can learn how to repair the regs. If you are already working for a dive shop, then just call your SP area rep to see when the next class is, or see if they offer them at SP HQ.

If you don't work for a shop, they don't let you take the class and there is some justification for this.

You read the manual and complete a workbook prior to class and then learn some basics and get updated on the latest regs at the seminar. But (theoretically) most of the real learning will be hands on in the shop under the guidance of a more experienced tech. You then have to attend a 2 day seminar on an annual basis to maintain your currency.

Personally, if I were king of a dive equipment company, I would allow dealers to offer regulator specific certification classes to certify divers to work on their own regs. I would then allow divers, with proper repair certification and tools, to buy annual service parts through the dealer as long as they do not buy more than one kit per year per regulator and return the used parts to the dealer.

This would create another source of cash flow for the dealer, would improve diver knowledge, satisfy divers who wish to do their own maintainence without exposing the company to excessive liability, and would maintain parts control to prevent untrained diver/technicians from servicing their own regs and having their widows sue the company when they get it wrong and drown.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom