Scubapro XL Jets vs IDI/XS Scuba XL Power Fins

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

*Floater*

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Every once in a while I see people ask about this and I've wondered about it myself, so I'm posting this thread provide a proper comparison between the two for future reference. Right now I'll just post the stats. I haven't used the Power Fins yet, but I got them in case I needed more insulation and hence bigger boots for drysuit diving (my size 11 Chuck Taylors are just at the limit with regular socks and neoprene booties). Also included are pics of the IDI/XS Scuba Frogfoot fins, just in case anyone wondered.

So here's the deal, XL Power fins are 1" shorter with a 10-11% larger foot pocket (by volume) of the same shape as that of the jets, but with slightly softer roof. Otherwise fin shape is similar but not the exact, max width is about the same but jets are overall a tad wider. Material seems the same (rubber or rubber like). Vents slightly different. XL Power fins weigh 100g (3.5 ounces) more per fin than jets (1.6 kg vs 1.5 - both with spring straps). Both seem about equally stiff.

As for the Frogfoot fins (size L), they are longer and floppier than the XL Jets, same width. Weight is about the same as the Jets. The foot pocket is about 18% smaller by volume, but softer and slightly different shape so I could fit in them in my EU size 44 (about men's 11 US) wetboots. I doubt I could fit in them in my size 11 Chuck Taylors that I use for dry diving with the XL jets, though without the neoprene booties and thick socks the size 11 Chuck Taylors fit in them fine.

From left to right: Frogfoot, Jet, Power fin

fins_pockets.jpg

fins_front2.jpg

fins_front.jpg

fins_rear.jpg

And vents differences between the Jet and Power fin:

vents_front.jpg

vents_rear.jpg

P.S. If anyone wants to buy the Frogfoot fins then I'll sell them for $30 shipped within the US - will include both bungee and rubber straps.

EDIT: Sorry, I posted in the wrong forum by mistake. Mods, please move this to the Fins forum.

I tried both fins in the pool today, but without any scuba gear on other than my wetboots. My test was simply to do frogkick laps from one end of the pool to the other on breath-holds and I also tried some alternative kicks. This was the first time I wore the power fins, whereas I've been using the jets since selling my splits a long time ago, but I doubt that mattered since both fins work essentially the same. Anyway, my observations are as follows.

1. I prefer the power fin foot pocket. It's a little (11%) larger so my foot goes in slightly deeper giving me more grip and support, plus the roof of the foot pocket is softer which for me is more comfortable.

2. The power fins are slightly stiffer (note the thicker ridges in the pics) so they bend or flex less when I do my kicks. This can be good or bad depending on your preference and kick. For frog- and modified frog- or sculling I think I prefer the flex of the jets.

3. The power fins felt more maneuverable for back kick, which makes sense since they are stiffer with slightly smaller blades.

4. The jets packed a little more umpf on the frogkick. I needed about 9 frog kicks with the jets to get from one end of the pool to the other on my best tries, whereas with the power fins I needed at least 11 kicks. That means I was getting roughly 20% more glide per kick on the jets, though perhaps that figure will go down as I dive the power fins more.

Bottom line: I'm undecided which to keep so for the moment I'll keep both. I need to dive them more. If the better glide from the XL jets translates into better gas consumption as I suspect, then I'll keep diving the jets, otherwise I'll switch over to the power fins. Ideally I'd like to have the chance to put on a full tech rig and spend 30 minutes finning in the pool on each set of fins and then compare the distance covered and gas consumed but unfortunately I won't have that opportunity, even if I owned tanks and a car I doubt they would let me enter the pool in full scuba gear, although they did let me test my drysuit in there - guess it depends on the person on lifeguard duty...

If i can suggest to try and do your testing while wearing all your gear and then note the differences. It's the only true test.

Although your test is only on the two mentioned above i would try to include the OMS slipstreams and the Rocket 2 fins to comfortably compare the styles and comfort.

From what i've read in other posts, the jets seem to win, but the slipstreams seem to come up very close 2nd.

I have a pair of 20 year old jets that i currently dive if that's any consolation!

Thanks for the info,

They have a PADI open water course available at my school at the beginning of October. Perhaps in conjunction with that they'll let me rent the tanks and use the pool. If so then I'll do the proper testing of both fins. If someone wants to lend me a pair of OMS XL slipstream fins then I'd love to test those too and post the results provided that I get to use the pool. I would ship them back early October after the pool sessions.

I have a pair of XXL Slipstreams I'd loan you, in the interests of science, but I don't know that they'd work for you. They might, however, given that you wear size 11 Chucks. I wear size 10.5 Chucks with my DS but that's a really tight fit... probably a bit tighter than I should tolerate. Considering how tightly they fit into my XL Jets, however, I'm surprised you can get size 11's in.

CompuDude:
I have a pair of XXL Slipstreams I'd loan you, in the interests of science, but I don't know that they'd work for you. They might, however, given that you wear size 11 Chucks. I wear size 10.5 Chucks with my DS but that's a really tight fit... probably a bit tighter than I should tolerate. Considering how tightly they fit into my XL Jets, however, I'm surprised you can get size 11's in.

It's funny how that works. Maybe your feet are wider or thicker? Mine are 11" long (max) and 4" wide (max). What about yours?

I saw the XXL Slipstreams on a boat the other day. I should have asked to try them on. The guy using them wore size 12 DUI rockboots iirc and he said they were a little too big for him and that he was looking for something just a tad tighter fitting. How wide and tall are their foot pockets at the mouth? How much water do they hold (for volume comparison with the jets)? (Each of my jets holds about 1120 grams or centiliters when filled to the brim).

*Floater*:
It's funny how that works. Maybe your feet are wider or thicker? Mine are 11" long (max) and 4" wide (max). What about yours?

I saw the XXL Slipstreams on a boat the other day. I should have asked to try them on. The guy using them wore size 12 DUI rockboots iirc and he said they were a little too big for him and that he was looking for something just a tad tighter fitting. How wide and tall are their foot pockets at the mouth? How much water do they hold (for volume comparison with the jets)? (Each of my jets holds about 1120 grams or centiliters when filled to the brim).
To be honest I haven't tried them on yet... it's possible they're too big. I picked them up used, absurdly cheap, a few days ago and haven't had a good chance to give them a try in full dress. I figured if they don't fit I can sell them for what I paid or more.

I'll see if I can confirm something one way or the other when I get home tonight.

I have fairly narrow feet but the tightness of my 10.5 Chucks into my XL Jets comes from the rubber sidewalls of the shoe at the widest part in front, not my foot.

Perhaps you could try shaving the sides of your Chucks a little bit, at least get rid of the extra protection there. For me removing it wasn't necessary. As you can see below they fit well enough, though as I said in my power fin comparison, a slightly bigger foot pocket with a softer roof wouldn't hurt:

chuck_in_jet1.jpg

chuck_in_jet2.jpg

chuck_in_jet3.jpg

*Floater*:
Perhaps you could try shaving the sides of your Chucks a little bit, at least get rid of the extra protection there. For me removing it wasn't necessary. As you can see below they fit well enough, though as I said in my power fin comparison, a slightly bigger foot pocket with a softer roof wouldn't hurt:
I've read about that being done, and considered it, but like yours, it fits well enough I haven't bothered. I don't know how tight the 11's are on the sides compared to the 10.5's, but mine are snug enough that it takes a smidge more effort than I'd like to get them on and off... there's definitely contact along the sides. Using a little silicon spray inside the pocket every once in a while helps, but a better fit would help more... and I can't imagine the 11's would be anything but a wee bit worse, if anything.

Then there is the possibility that Kidspot raised... he reported there is some variation among fins of the same size... which kind of makes a true comparison impossible when you're dealing with tiny differences that make a difference, as here.

CompuDude:
Then there is the possibility that Kidspot raised... he reported there is some variation among fins of the same size... which kind of makes a true comparison impossible when you're dealing with tiny differences that make a difference, as here.

Note to self: Ask to try on other people's XL jets whenever possible.

Yeah, that size variation theory seems plausible since I've even read about people with size 13 feet wearing XL jets in their drysuit boots, while others with size 10 feet find them too small, but then again I've never read a post of somebody saying "Hey, I just tried on my buddies XL jets and they didn't fit even though mine are fine" or something to that effect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom