Scubapro X650, to buy or not to buy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

PsyPhin

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
Hello all,

I have a question about Scubapro x650s. I have a chance to get a MK25 and X650 set second hand for a very good price.
I have seen a lot of topics about a recall which mostly affects US sales but also opinions of it giving random free-flows while inhaling and other funny issues.

Has anyone ever experienced this Reg before and have any other information? I appreciate any assistance.

I had one that was pre-recall so they took it back and gave me a new one. The replacement never worked properly- it had a bad groove for the O-ring on the venturi adjustment. They finally sent me an S600 to replace it (I asked for a G-250 but no dice). I loved the pre-recall version except that it breathed wet when I was inverted. Since I don't spend much time in that position it was a minor annoyance. I wish I had kept the original as I don't think I ever heard of the "potential" problem ever becoming a reality.

@psyphin

Usually the SP 2nds are pretty good and reliable.

To me the X650 is an exception, it was taken off the market after short years and I think SP knows why.

A friend of mine was working with it and was not happy at all. He finally went back to the D - Serie and left the X650 with me to do what I want with it.

I was thinking about selling it, but I'm too much worried that this sale could spoil my reputation here around.

So I leave it in the shell as a collectors item.

Problem is, it has too much free flow issues. Just a little bit of dirt in the barrel poppet mechanism and the lever configuration and it starts to free flow and it is back on the work bench.

Just look for a S or G - Serie 2nd, and you should be fine. No problems with a MK25.........

I bought one used off of Ebay in 2009 I think and had it rebuilt immediately. I've had no issues really after 100+ dives with it once I understood how to use it correctly. There's a switch that goes between dive mode and surface mode. You can't ignore that switch. You must place it in surface mode when you are on the surface or it will free flow like crazy if it slaps against the water. If you are underwater you have to have the switch set to dive mode or it wet breathes (lets a little water in with the air) when if you get upside down. It won't drown you if you don't set it to dive mode underwater but it will scare you a bit. You still get plenty of air. Don't panic just flip the switch to dive mode if you forgot to do it as you descended. I see a pattern if I get in water in the less than 50F it sometimes "freezes" and instead of delivering a large quantity of air you have to pull hard on it. It still gives me air however even if it worries me a bit. Don't forget to flip the dive/surface mode switch! Otherwise it's worked fine for me. I've read about the recall on the obsolete model and checked with Scubapro and think I have a post recalled model. You might get the serial number off the one you're considering buying and check Scubapro's web site. It was years ago when I bought mine but I think they had a recall notice published that had a range of serial numbers that were recalled. I was able to see mine was NOT on that list. I hope this helps.

What is a very good price ? :) if its $100 I would go for it if its 200 then I will look at the condition of MK25 if its $300 there is no reason to buy it as you can get an MK20/G250 combo on ebay for that money and it would likely be a better reg.

What is a very good price ? :)

Well I am actually planning on getting a set of stuff as I need a tech regulator setup for when I do Tec40 and the guy does not want to sell anything separately. So I am actually getting:
MK25, X650 x2
Ali twinset 80cu ft 300bar
Pair Jetfins,
hoses - LP, 7 ft.
40lb wing
rec wing
300bar SPG
Backplate
Webbing

All for about 1500$ (I am in South Africa using Rands) so it's not really about buying the Regs because its an awesome deal on its own, its about should I be using it once I get it.

@Bill
It has been sitting for a long time so as soon as I get it, its going for a service and I am checking with Scubapro if it is a recalled model. By the sounds of what you saying if I just use all the features properly, it should be fine, which gives me hope.

@axxel57 & merxlin
Thanks for your experiences, do you think both the problems you experienced was because of the dive/surface mode switch?

Thank you for replies so far.

@psyphin

The problems I had had nothing to do with the X650 dive - no dive switch.

If you think the deal is very good, then you should at least try to learn to repair your regulator yourself. Otherwise could be that you find yourself more in your LDS than in the water.

If you are interested, PM me your e-mail and I'll send you the X650 Repair Guide and the Troubleshoot Guide. Same for the MK25.

Good luck!

.............Thanks for your experiences, do you think both the problems you experienced was because of the dive/surface mode switch?

Mine was definitely the venturi adjustment- the o-ring would extrude out of the housing when adjusted, causing an air leak at the knob. BTW- it got dramatically worse at 100ft+.

That said, many regs have venturi adjusters (dive/pre-dive levers and adjuster knobs)that work just fine. It is not a question of that feature but of the production quality in this case.

Ok that changes a lot. If you are getting 2 sets with all the other stuff than it sounds like a not so bad deal.

Like axxel said you should consider maintaining gear yourself including the regs. In the worst case you can get a pair of G250 later if X650s turn out to be completely bad. If you are lucky you can get into a <150 range for 2 of them

Well I am actually planning on getting a set of stuff as I need a tech regulator setup for when I do Tec40 and the guy does not want to sell anything separately. So I am actually getting:
MK25, X650 x2
Ali twinset 80cu ft 300bar
Pair Jetfins,
hoses - LP, 7 ft.
40lb wing
rec wing
300bar SPG
Backplate
Webbing

All for about 1500$ (I am in South Africa using Rands) so it's not really about buying the Regs because its an awesome deal on its own, its about should I be using it once I get it.

@Bill
It has been sitting for a long time so as soon as I get it, its going for a service and I am checking with Scubapro if it is a recalled model. By the sounds of what you saying if I just use all the features properly, it should be fine, which gives me hope.

@axxel57 & merxlin
Thanks for your experiences, do you think both the problems you experienced was because of the dive/surface mode switch?

I don't think that's such a great deal, honestly. It's two regulators that you don't really want, AL80 doubles which are cheap and plentiful, and the rec wing is nothing special, probably not anyone's first choice for a small doubles wing. Other than that it's all stuff that's cheap and easy to find; plate, fins, hoses. $1500? That sounds steep to me.

If the regulators were absolutely what you wanted and it was HP 100 doubles, then you might have a good deal there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom